Index/table rebuild

• Bhuvnesh (11/7/2013)

is it ? :pinch:

Yes it is.

• Carl B. (11/7/2013)

GilaMonster (11/7/2013)

Do your tables change definitions so often for this to be the primary concern and trigger for rebuilding indexes?

Hi Gail,

Yes. The contexte is the following :

Application upgrade with a lot of database conversion scripts to execute. At the end of the database upgrade, that may contains several thousand conversion scripts, we want to rebuild the index that need to be rebuild.

Best regards.

Carl

If I was running several thousand conversion scripts then I would rebuild all indexes and heaps at the end of the process.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Hi Sean,

It would be simpler to process all the tables. But let's say you can avoid rebuilding indexes on 5 to10 really big tables, it would reduce a lot the "rebuilding" time.

The upgrade process itself (without the rebuilding of the index) is yet really time consumming, if we can avoid rebuilding index uselessly on big tables our client will appreciate that.

Best regards.

Carl

• Carl B. (11/8/2013)

if we can avoid rebuilding index uselessly on big tables our client will appreciate that.

You have to do that ..sooner or later.. data migration(DML) operation disturbs the stattistics which leads to select non-optimal exec plan and as a result the queries will take unexpected/unaffordable longer time and i am sure client will not be happy to see this .

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Carl B. (11/8/2013)

... if we can avoid rebuilding index uselessly on big tables our client will appreciate that.

To be more precise I should have wrote:

... if we can avoid rebuilding index on big table that do not need to be rebuild, our clients will appreciate that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Carl

• Carl B. (11/8/2013)

Hi Sean,

It would be simpler to process all the tables. But let's say you can avoid rebuilding indexes on 5 to10 really big tables, it would reduce a lot the "rebuilding" time.

The upgrade process itself (without the rebuilding of the index) is yet really time consumming, if we can avoid rebuilding index uselessly on big tables our client will appreciate that.

Best regards.

Carl

As a part of planning you should calculate how long the big tables will take. Exclude them from post upgrade maintenance if time is tight and stagger the rebuilds over whatever maintenance windows you have.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply