INDEXING

• Hello,

i have maybe stupid question

why sometimes the SELECT use Noncluster index instead cluster index

I thought that still use PK like primary, if there is value what I searched, but if I created new one just with the searched value is faster.

Does someone any good explain about background indexing and using it?

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_TB_INSPECTION_DETAIL] ON [dbo].[TB_INSPECTION_DETAIL]

(

[ORDER_DATE] ASC,

[COMMIT_NO] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[TB_INSPECTION_DETAIL] ADD CONSTRAINT [PK_TB_INSPECTION_DETAIL] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[LINE_CODE] ASC,

[ORDER_DATE] ASC,

[COMMIT_NO] ASC,

[BODY_NO] ASC,

[ITEM_CODE] ASC,

[DEFECT_CODE] ASC,

[CREATE_DTTM] ASC,

[POSITION] ASC,

[POSITION_CODE] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = ON, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

thx for response

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1[/url] / Option 2[/url]

• From my understanding, it is better to create your clustered index on primary keys, while leaving the non-clustered indexes to everything else you might search on. If you have a clustered index that has as many columns as yours, it might be more efficiently run for SQL to use the non-clustered index (which only has two columns to find the data.

--------
    For SQL Tips, check out my blog: http://lantztechknowledge.blogspot.com/[/url]
    You can also follow my twitter account to get daily updates: @BLantz2455

• tony28 (5/7/2013)

Hello,

i have maybe stupid question

why sometimes the SELECT use Noncluster index instead cluster index

I thought that still use PK like primary, if there is value what I searched, but if I created new one just with the searched value is faster.

thx for response

Hey tony,

Its depend on SQL Server query optimizer to select a clustered or nonclustered index for any script(But in general optimizer select index on the basis of columns used in where clause).

If u r not using those columns which are in PK or clustered index then it not worth to use such clustered index instead of a nonclustered index which have those column which are used in where clause in your scripts.

• hi, thx for reply

I didnt write all about it ..heh

these columns are in PK

when I executed query, in tab of execution plan was the label - MISSING INDEX and etc...

so according to this I created this index, and the query was faster ...

and I think that it will be like Calibear wrote

from my view now , optimizer will use smaller index ..

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1[/url] / Option 2[/url]

• If u post select scripts too with index details that will be more helpful to see what happened and why.

• here is simple select, I found in little difficult, but here you can see also

select ORDER_DATE from TB_INSPECTION_DETAIL WHERE ORDER_DATE='20130507' and COMMIT_NO='0085'

subtree cost

IX 0,0032838 - rows 1,62897

PK 0,0464984 - rows 1,62897

• tony28 (5/8/2013)

here is simple select, I found in little difficult, but here you can see also

select ORDER_DATE from TB_INSPECTION_DETAIL WHERE ORDER_DATE='20130507' and COMMIT_NO='0085'

subtree cost

IX 0,0032838 - rows 1,62897

PK 0,0464984 - rows 1,62897

The query you are showing uses columns that are all within the nonclustered index you defined above. This makes the index into what is known as a covering index. In effect, for this query, it's a clustered index since all the information it needs is there. The optimizer is smart enough to recognize that the nonclustered index is going to be a better selection for this query because it's going to filter off the leading edge of that index whereas with the clustered index, the necessary columns, while in the key (that's a VERY large key by the way and may lead to other issues), would require more filtering.

As to those costs, they're useful for comparing operations to each other within a plan, but they're not very useful outside the plan because they are estimated costs, even on an actual execution plan.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply