Index Tuning Wizard

• I hear the Database Tuner Advisor isn't nearly as useful as Microsoft claims it is. Is the Index Tuning Wizard similar? Or is it a great tool?

• Index tuning wizard was the SQL 2000 and prior tool that was renamed Database Tuning Adviser in 2005.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQL Server 2005 exposes a lot of information like missing indexes and indexes which are not used for a period of time, can prove very useful as well.

you can take a look at the following URL for related information:

http://sqlserverpedia.com/wiki/Index_Related_DMV_Queries

• Golfer22 (7/25/2012)

I hear the Database Tuner Advisor isn't nearly as useful as Microsoft claims it is.

I'm not sure that is an accurate statement. What I have heard, and others here can correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's bad practice to take all of the suggestions of the DTA at face value and just apply them to your schema. Just like code you find here or anywhere else, you shouldn't be running it if you don't understand what it does.

It is also a bad idea to assume that the DTA has recommended every possible optimization. That is to say, you should not assume the suggestions from the DTA are the only possible tuning options.

It's not infallible or complete but it's there. I've also heard some people suggest not using it at all but they tend to know enough about what they're doing that lack of completeness of the DTA is a hinderance to them.

• Well, considering that I've seen and heard claims from MS that it's perfect and all you'll ever need for tuning and makes coffee too....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/26/2012)

Well, considering that I've seen and heard claims from MS that it's perfect and all you'll ever need for tuning and makes coffee too....

What about a bun warmer?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply