Index Space Table Space Ratio

• Hi ALL,

I wanted to find an ideal ratio between the Index space and Data Space for a table on SQL 20008. I used sp_spaceused proc to find out the ratio in my db and could not find any consistent pattern. The major issue is with the included columns being present I am unable to draw any conclusion.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Suri

• I hate to say this but 'it depends'. For an oltp system you would want less indexes - but enough to give you acceptable performance. For a reporting system which is heavy on reads, you can have more indexes to get the required performance. That's all I can say without knowing more about what you need.

You need metrics and testing to determine what is best for your environment.

• Thanks for the reply.

I understand the metrics would be different for both the instances (OLTP vs OLAP)

Is there a range of good metrics for OLTP is what I trying to find out ?

Thanks,

Suri

• suri.yalamanchili (3/23/2011)

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the metrics would be different for both the instances (OLTP vs OLAP)

Is there a range of good metrics for OLTP is what I trying to find out ?

Thanks,

Suri

Nope, it's completely dependent on the system usage. You might be fine with one table having 10 indexes on it and another that's heavy on the changes that you find only the clustered index gives you reasonable throughput. It's all about your usage and what use of the data is more important on a per table basis.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply