Index Rebuild in SQL Server vs ORACLE

• Hi,

We have both Oracle 11g Databases and SQL Server 2005 SP3 databases. Our Oracle DBA's do perofrm the Index Rebuild Every 6 months as the Oracle takes care of Index fragmentation mostly. But I, SQL DBA need to do the same Index rebuild task every week & some times every day on SQL Server databases!!

Why SQL Server databases engine did NOT take care of the Index fragmentation as ORACLE do?

Is there any impletation Microsoft or MVPs looking into implement this?

Is this possible in near future versions of SQL Server?

Thanks for your inputs

• Hmmm interesting.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_intelligent_10g_DBA_maintenance.htm

Oracle provides maintenance tools to help do that, but they also say that you must do regular maintenance anyway.

Essentially the way it works is the management tools will do a reindex every so often - akin to a scheduled index rebuild in sql server that is scheduled.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I am not completely agree with you that :- Your DBA perform Index maintainance task for Oracle once in six months and perform same task in sql very often (daily or weekly). Index Maintainance task is completely dependent on the type of application you are using. My DB size is more then 500GB and transaction volume is also huge but i usually do the task once in a month.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply