Index fragmentation

• Hello,

I have question:

What is index fragmentation? Why is important to keep it at or below 20%?

• ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

Because it tastes better that way.

(Others reading this thread, be aware that the person posting the question has admitted that his intention at this point is to commit fraud and get a DBA job by faking his way through interviews. Helping him harms both real DBAs and any prospective employer.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

(Others reading this thread, be aware that the person posting the question has admitted that his intention at this point is to commit fraud and get a DBA job by faking his way through interviews. Helping him harms both real DBAs and any prospective employer.)

Less filling...

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

Indexes should be below 10%. Once they reach 10%, they are now using 2 digits '10' instead of 1 digit '7', '8' or '9', and they are now taking up more space.

• homebrew01 (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

Indexes should be below 10%. Once they reach 10%, they are now using 2 digits '10' instead of 1 digit '7', '8' or '9', and they are now taking up more space.

Not sure I follow you, are you on the same side as Gus (tastes great) - or on the same side as me (less filling). One or the other - choose a side :cool::w00t:

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (10/16/2009)

homebrew01 (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

Not sure I follow you, are you on the same side as Gus (tastes great) - or on the same side as me (less filling). One or the other - choose a side :cool::w00t:

Tough choice ... I suppose that in general, I go for "tastes great" ... quality trumps quantity (good beer, for example).

However, when feeding trolls, the reverse is better. Fill them up with junk in the hope it makes them too sick to cause more trouble.

• I prefer "tastes great" over "less filling". She's marginally better looking, in my opinion.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

I thought he had a job and was just asking us how to do his job because he doesnt have the skills/knowledge/experience.

if your indexes are too fragmented, they get too crunchy and fall apart when you add milk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• GSquared (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

I already get my answer from the link by Alex and others also. Your response is not welcome,it is off-topic. I ask whatever I want, when I want and extract the information I need, ignore everything else.

This question and another was posted as example of what I cannot answer. I now have answers and will practice answering this 2 questions like I am expert. You wasting your time with your warning

• AlexSQLForums,

See how your answers are acting as a FULL GLASS OF MILK for a thirsty crow so kindly don't waste your time answering him.

Thank you,

Manu

• ItalianOlgi (10/19/2009)

GSquared (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

I already get my answer from the link by Alex and others also. Your response is not welcome,it is off-topic. I ask whatever I want, when I want and extract the information I need, ignore everything else.

This question and another was posted as example of what I cannot answer. I now have answers and will practice answering this 2 questions like I am expert. You wasting your time with your warning

I'm not wasting my time at all. I have a faint but definite hope that you will wake up, realize that dishonesty is more likely to wreck your life than make it better, and straighten yourself out. May be futile, but also may not.

One day, after being fired for criminal incompetence, possibly sued for fraud, you might remember this and have an epiphany. The slight chance of helping you that way makes this far from a waste of my time.

Property of The Thread

• Can you not ask the expert that you have already hired ?

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• ItalianOlgi (10/19/2009)

GSquared (10/16/2009)

ItalianOlgi (10/16/2009)

Hello,

I have question:

If they employ you, then they deserve everything they get!

Out of interest, is a google search too hard for you?

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

• In order to find answers to questions such as this, the first source is SQL-Server Books-On-Line

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166100.aspx

David

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply