Increase in MAX memory causing DBCC CHECKTABLE to run longer?

• A number of weeks ago we upgraded the RAM in 2 of our servers. After allowing about a week burn-in time, I changed the max memory of SQL to leave the same amount of RAM to the OS as was before, which allowed us to increase the memory for SQL about 300GB. Ever since then, our weekly maintenance significantly increased in duration. Specifically, I have traced it to DBCC CHECKTABLE tableName WITH PHYSICAL_ONLY increasing for each of our tables. From about 3 sec to 15 on avg. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• I would check out the NUMA nodes and make sure you haven't over-allocated the memory in such a way that it is causing issues.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Possibly related to this

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/jonathan/dbcc-checkdb-execution-memory-grants-not-quite-what-you-expect/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail and Jeffrey. I'm more interested now in the article by Jonathan. Good stuff Gail!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply