Incorrect PageID while attaching MDF?

• Before I fully describe the problem let me describe the environment. In this scenario, the SQL server was having hardware problems for months. These problems were not reported. Currently, 2 of the 5 drives have numerous hardware errors. When we try to copy the MDF from the SQL Server to an external drive an error occurs at the end of the copy.

The tape backup hasn't run for months. Again, not reported. There are no usable tape backups. The last usable tape is from 2009.

I know this is hard to believe. I was in disbelief when I was told the story but it is true.

I have installed a copy of SQLExpress 2008 on a workstation along with 2008 Management Studio. When I try to attach the MDF from the external drive to SQLExpress 2008, an error occurs. It says in part "SQL server has detected a logical-consistency I/O error:Incorrect PageID(a detailed explanation of which page and database is in the actual message.) This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check(DBCC_CheckDB)..."

I found DBCC_CHeckDB in the Books Online. But it seems that the database must be attached to use this utility.

Can any one offer any suggestions on how to proceed?

thanks,

pat

• To make sure I understand correctly: The database is currently detached?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jason,

Yes, I wasn't clear on that. It is detached. I am trying to attach it (a SQL 2000 database) to a SQLExpress 2008 instance.

pat

• If it's a SQL 2000 database and it's damaged, I would strongly suggest that you install SQL 2000 and get it attached there (may need hacking in).

By attaching to 2008, you're requiring an upgrade which may well fail on a damaged database and leave you with nothing.

Can you find/install a SQL 2000 instance? Even the evaluation's fine (if you have an MSDN subscription, you can download it there)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail,

Thanks for the advice, especially pointing out that the way we are doing it requires an update to the data file. Our problem is a lack of resources.

Tomorrow the hardware guys are going to replace the backplane on the server. If we are very lucky, we hope we will have enough functionality to work on the existing SQL 2000 instance.

But I won't know anything else until noon on Tues.

• Just a word of warning. There's no guarantee that this will be repairable, that the database will be attachable at all. Depends on where that corruption is within the file. Going back to the 2009 backup may turn out to be the best option you have. It's worth a discussion with management.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply