IN Parameter

• I'm writing a stored procedure, and I want one of the parameters to be used as a list of values to a select statement - the business end of the stored proc looks like:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE field IN(@param)

I want to call it using @param='''1'',''2'',''3''', but this doesn't work. It interprets it as IN(''1','2','3'') - comparing it to the whole value, rather than its component parts. Is there any way I can fix this?

• Only if you use dynamic sql or seperate each item to be used.

Ex.

DECLARE @SQLStr VARCHAR(400)

SET @SQLStr = 'SELECT * FROM table WHERE field IN(' + @param + ')'

EXEC (@SQLStr)

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I did something like that. But my string of possible in values may be up to 32K long. How can I deal with that?

• Set up multiple variables and set each to a section of code then do

EXEC (@SQLBase + @P1 + @P2)

You can have multiple 8000 character varchars at one time.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• The problem I'm having is that the IN string is a parameter on the stored procedure. I'm calling the stored procedure from Access using ADO. What should I do? Create 10 parameters on the stored procedure?

• I am afraid that yes that would be the only choice I can see. And would have to parse those on the Access side. I will see if there is anything else around at work but I can't think of anything.

• What about creating a temporary table?

Prior to running the query create a temporary table into which you insert all the values in the @param field eg:

CREATE TABLE #TEMP_KEYS

(

KEY_FIELD nvarchar(x)

)....etc.....

CREATE INDEX ......KEY_FIELD .....etc....

Pseudo :-

For Each Key in @param

Insert Row into #TEMP_KEYS Where KEY_FIELD = Key

Next

Then Run your Select

SELECT *

FROM table A

,#TEMP_KEYS B

WHERE A.field = B.KEY_FIELD

Then :-

DROP TABLE #TEMP_KEYS

The overhead of the Insert into a Temporary Table may be too much, but at least it keeps the SQL Simple and efficient.

It's just an idea!

Simon Sutcliffe !MVP + !MSC

"To ask is human, to assume is dangerous"

• I posted recently the Script that might help you with your problem:

Pass several sets of parameters to run stored proc

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/scriptdetails.asp?scriptid=232

Edited by - EPol29 on 04/10/2002 09:07:55 AM

• can your in clause be expressed as a Sql statement or are the values derived from somewhere else?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply