in Azure SQL Managed Instance do we get sql server or we have to purchase and in

• I am using aws rds where we get a sql server we have to just restore our database and we are good to go.

pls tell me the the Azure SQL Managed Instance also works same for the above case.ss

• Yes. Azure Managed Instance works in a very similar way. You can simply restore a database there. Although, you should know, that you can't take a backup from there and restore it to either an on-premises server or to AWS RDS. When you've moved your database to Azure MI, you're on Azure MI unless you do a manual export.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Does that mean , I  can not take full backup and restore it to my laptop to check some issues or do some R and D work.

• has google cloud got any service equivelent ot aws rds or azure MI, where i can take full bakup, which i should be able to get to my laptop to do some (r&d) offline.

• If you move your database to managed instance, you can't back it up and restore it locally again. Think of MI as a newer version of SQL Server. Just like you can't restore a backup taken on 2019 to 2017, you can't restore a backup taken from MI to an on-premises version of SQL Server.

Because GCP and AWS are using fixed versions of SQL Server (with some of their own syntactic sugar sprinkled on top), you can get backups from there and restore to equivalent versions of SQL Server. This is because, effectively, while they're offering a database a service through their platform as a service offerings, what's really going on is that they're just virtual machines running in the background (or, probably these days, containers, for our purposes here, same thing).

The advantage you get from going to Azure and Managed Instance (there are a lot of advantages, but we'll focus on one), is that you get the latest and greatest functionality, regularly as Microsoft updates Azure. This is fantastic. Until you want to take a backup and restore it locally on-premises.

The advantage you get from AWS or GCP is that you get that ability to backup and restore. However, you don't get lots of new functionality. In fact, you don't get much at all until and unless you upgrade your instances. And then, you only get what's available through their platform.

I know you're very focused on this whole backup & restore thing, but I would strongly recommend you lift your head and evaluate these tools across a much broader spectrum of functionality.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Just FYI, support for restoring SQL Managed Instance backups apparently is coming with SQL Server 2022: https://feedback.azure.com/d365community/idea/e5efce74-3425-ec11-b6e6-000d3a4f0f84

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply