Impromptu locking tables

• I have users running impromptu reports that access tables in SQL Server 2000 Database. Every now and them the impromptu select statements hold locks on tables until I kill the connections. Is there a way I can stop this locking?

Thank you.

• It's been a while, but can't you set the lock type (read type) for the connection to the database.  E.g dirty reads versus repeatabe reads etc?

Steve.

• Thanks Steve,

Users are not running queries manually from Impromptu. Impromptu makes the queries based on the users request and so there is no way of modifying the input queries to have a nolock otpion.

• I was thinking more along setting the read isolation level for all queries (ie set it against the database).

It's strange but I couldn't see the property in the GUI of Imp Admin but it's there when using code to manipulate the objects (look up DatabaseConnection.ReadIsolationLevel in the Imp Admin online help).

Maybe worth ringing cognos support and asking the question as to where you can set this in ImpAdmin.

Steve.

• The isolation level is set in the catalog, under User Profile choose the Database tab. The isolation level can be set by each user class you've defined.

Cindy.

• Thank you Cindy and Steve.

The Isolation level was not set. I have set it to Read Uncommited. I think this will do it.

Thanks

Jo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply