Importing Text or Excel files sequentially

• Hi,

I need to import the data inside some text and Excel files into SQL in the same order they appear when they opened through any text editor or Excel respectively.

There is no ID or fields that can be combined to form a key to order the data inside the files. That kind of an ID/key cannot be requested from the users who are supposed to fill in the data.

I cannot import the files first into Access and use the sorting option there as well, since I am not allowed to use Access. So, I have to handle this through SSIS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

• Do you see the order changed when you import the data? Can you check if the tables into which the data is imported have any clustered indexes which cause sorting when you view the table data?

Girish

• Hi Girish,

Yes, order of data is changing; not all but for some of the data inside the tables.. There are no indexes at the tables I import those files.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sahin.

• First of all, data in SQL is unordered. Unless you have some element by which the data can be ordered, it cannot be ordered.

What I would do is to add an identity column to my SQL table. Every row that is added would have a value that is one greater than the previous column.

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• Hi Russel,

Thanks very much for your help. I do not want to add identity column into those tables because there are so many of them. It will take too much time for me to do that, and change the SSIS extract packages according to that. But I will try that just for confirmation of your suggestion.

Best regards,

Sahin.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply