Importing Image

• Hi,

Why this works: SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK 'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg', SINLGE_BLOB) AS BLOB
    but this does not work:
    DECLARE @STR varchar(30)
    SET @STR = 'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg'
    SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK @STR, SINLGE_BLOB) AS BLOB

i've also tried as SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''@str'', SINLGE_BLOB) AS BLOB

How to get it to work please?

• Apart from that it's spelt SINGLE (not SINLGE), you're attempting to pass a variable as part of the SQL, which you can't do. Much the same way couldn't do SELECT * FROM @Table, where @Table is the name of a table in your current database.

You'll need to use "D-SQL" (Dynamic SQL), to do this. Something like:
    DECLARE @SQL VARCHAR(MAX);
    DECLARE @STR VARCHAR(30);

SET @STR = 'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg';
    SET @SQL ='SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK '''+ @STR + ''', SINGLE_BLOB) AS BLOB;';

EXEC @SQL;

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• gfx99ne - Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:41 AM

Hi,

Why this works: SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK 'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg', SINLGE_BLOB) AS BLOB
    but this does not work:
    DECLARE @STR varchar(30)

i've also tried as SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''@str'', SINLGE_BLOB) AS BLOB

The reason is that it has to be string literals, you cannot use a variable, here is a way around this
    😎
    DECLARE @FILE_NAME NVARCHAR(MAX) = N'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg';
    DECLARE @IMPORT_STR NVARCHAR(MAX) = REPLACE(N'SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''{{@FILE_NAME}}'', SINGLE_CLOB) AS BLOB',N'{{@FILE_NAME}}',@FILE_NAME);
    EXEC (@IMPORT_STR);

• Thom A - Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:00 AM

Apart from that it's spelt SINGLE (not SINLGE), you're attempting to pass a variable as part of the SQL, which you can't do. Much the same way couldn't do SELECT * FROM @Table, where @Table is the name of a table in your current database.

You'll need to use "D-SQL" (Dynamic SQL), to do this. Something like:
    DECLARE @SQL VARCHAR(MAX);
    DECLARE @STR VARCHAR(30);

SET @STR = 'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg';
    SET @SQL ='SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK '''+ @STR + ''', SINGLE_BLOB) AS BLOB;';

EXEC @SQL;

Thanks buddy.

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:11 AM

gfx99ne - Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:41 AM

Hi,

but this does not work:
    DECLARE @STR varchar(30)

The reason is that it has to be string literals, you cannot use a variable, here is a way around this
    😎
    DECLARE @FILE_NAME NVARCHAR(MAX) = N'C:\Users\kift\Documents\milkyway.jpg';
    DECLARE @IMPORT_STR NVARCHAR(MAX) = REPLACE(N'SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET (BULK ''{{@FILE_NAME}}'', SINGLE_CLOB) AS BLOB',N'{{@FILE_NAME}}',@FILE_NAME);
    EXEC (@IMPORT_STR);

Hi, why there are so many @FILE_NAME at the end of string? How is it beneficial please?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply