Importing Excell data into SQL Server

• Hi All,

I tried to import data from an excell spreadsheet into sqlserver.  The weird thing happened to me if data has both numeric and text data, sql server will import only numeric data, but not text data.

Ex: 12345

123A4

B01E

Only 12345 and 2342 were imported successfully.

The text data was set to null, eventhough I format the column in excel as text data.  If I did the same thing with text file, I did not see that problem.  All data was imported fine.  Is there a way to work around of this problem?

Thanks so any help!

Minh Vu

• In the excel set the column that has those value to be of type text and in sql server use the datatype either char/varchar to import the data and that should import fine.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• My guess is that excel autmatically decides on the data type and hence if it finds a numeric datatype in the first 8 rows it assumes that the remaining rows will contain the same data type and hence when it finds a non numeric data type it is imported as null. Another point to be noted is that once u change the cell in excel to have text property u need to reenter the data otherwise it will still consider it as a numeric value.. i.e. change the property of the cell to text format and re enter the data.. hope this will solve your problem.

• I have same problem and i tried by setting my table field as varchar and excel sheet field as text but still have null values. So i am running differents files for char and numeric data. 

Shankar is right....Excel pick up data type.

• The Excel column format is ignored, changing it makes no difference. Exporting to CSV may not be appropriate either.

If you want a quick and dirty fix for this, try putting an embedded space within the string of numbers - I'm importing account numbers & sort codes from Excel worksheets, usually 50 or so rows at a time, and it works fine. If I get more rows than this, then I create a new column and populate it using an expression to give substring & space & substring, then remove the space during processing of the staging table (REPLACE(columnName, ' ', '')).

But that's quick and dirty, I'm sure someone here will come up with something more elegant.

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• @Vandy

did u reenter the data after setting the excel column as text

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply