Importing Data and New Hardware (Database Weekly)

• There's a human tendency to see patterns in chaos. Sometimes we see real patterns, other times we just dub stuff in because we're wired to do so. Can't really say which one this is, but I do tend to see the same kind of patterns you're writing about.

On the subject of a good tablet PC: I'd much rather have one of those than a netbook. Netbook keyboards are laughably horrible, from my point of view. I think a good tablet is tremendously useful.

On the subject of SSDs: I plan to get one (much lower-end and cheaper than this one) next month. My home computer is already massively overpowered for what I use it for, and I'm of the opinion that taking it one step further in that direction is a good idea. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to make me feel like it's as overkill as I can afford. 🙂

On the subject of importing data: Good articles. I used to use SSIS a lot, but my current manager doesn't like it, so haven't used it in nearly a year. BCP and OpenRowset are my current tools, and optimizing them is always good.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I went to Best Buy and a few places to check Netbook keyboards. The 10" HP I have seems to be fine, except for the home/end/page up/down keys. Otherwise feels good. It has an SSD in it, seems to work OK. I wonder if I had 100GB on my desktop if it would be faster.

• I touch-type over 80 words per minute, and I have big hands with long fingers. Netbook keyboards, even most laptop keyboards, are simply too small for me. They turn me into a Columbus typist (discover a key and land on it method).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• First, thanks for the comments on the blog Steve. Appreciate that 🙂

I've noticed this over time and always been curious how that works out and how the patterns seem to come about.

Perfect example came up this morning. While reading the headlines on the home page, I saw Using SSIS to Capture the File Name By J.D. Gonzalez

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SSIS/67871/

Good posting but the funny part is, last week I wrote almost an identical blog on capturing file information based off a thread I answered on MSDN a week ago here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/0e48067d-626f-4f91-af3d-ec3e5e3ebf6e

I pulled the blog back and didn't let it publish after seeing pretty much the same thing from J.D.

It is strange how the patterns come out with no intentions of it happening that way

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply