IF EXISTS with LINKED SERVER failures.

• Hello All,

I have taken it upon my self to build a client configuration database for my company. This is meant to be an automated discover process where all you need to do is create a linked server and this database and jobs will poll the linked server to import any relevant databases along with various information about the database and client.

1 particular piece of information I am trying to capture from each database is the version of the application. I am running into an error with the query below as the table does not exist but it seems SQL is still trying to validate the query even though the table doesn't exist. If I remove the query and place a print statement I get the else print statement of "Doesn't Exist".

IFEXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM MSVSQL04.M_Test_DB.sys.Objects WHERE Name = 'DBREGISTRY' and type = 'U')

BEGIN

SELECTLEFT(Value, CHARINDEX(' (',Value)-1) AS [Version]

FROMMSVSQL04.M_Test_DB.dbo.DBRegistry

WHERELabel = 'Version'

END

ELSE

PRINT 'Doesnt Exist'

Here is the error I am getting. The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "MSVSQL04" does not contain the table ""M_Test_DB"."dbo"."DBRegistry"". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

Well its exactly right the table does not exist my only guess is SQL is still trying to validate but not execute.

Has anyone run into this before?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeremy

• drgn38 (5/8/2012)

Hello All,

I have taken it upon my self to build a client configuration database for my company. This is meant to be an automated discover process where all you need to do is create a linked server and this database and jobs will poll the linked server to import any relevant databases along with various information about the database and client.

1 particular piece of information I am trying to capture from each database is the version of the application. I am running into an error with the query below as the table does not exist but it seems SQL is still trying to validate the query even though the table doesn't exist. If I remove the query and place a print statement I get the else print statement of "Doesn't Exist".

IFEXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM MSVSQL04.M_Test_DB.sys.Objects WHERE Name = 'DBREGISTRY' and type = 'U')

BEGIN

SELECTLEFT(Value, CHARINDEX(' (',Value)-1) AS [Version]

FROMMSVSQL04.M_Test_DB.dbo.DBRegistry

WHERELabel = 'Version'

END

ELSE

PRINT 'Doesnt Exist'

Here is the error I am getting. The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "MSVSQL04" does not contain the table ""M_Test_DB"."dbo"."DBRegistry"". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

Well its exactly right the table does not exist my only guess is SQL is still trying to validate but not execute.

Has anyone run into this before?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeremy

The code is still parsed before the IF statement is executed. For what you are trying to accomplish, you will need to use dynamic sql to execute the query if the table exists.

• Thank you for your reply Lynn.

I already was as the Server and DBNames are passed in dynamically in a looping process. I guess I could do try to do dynamic with in dynamic :). Was just hoping there was a better way to do this. What I don't understand is say in your normal practice of IF table exists then drop table. Seems like if validation were an issue these would also fail.

OPEN DBs

FETCH NEXT FROM DBs INTO @ClientID, @ServerName, @DBName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

-- GET VERSION INFO

SET@SQL = '

IFEXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM '+ @ServerName +'.'+ @DBName +'.sys.Objects WHERE Name = ''DBREGISTRY'')

BEGIN

SELECT

'''+ @DBName +'''

,LEFT(Value, CHARINDEX('' ('',Value)-1) AS [Version]

FROM'+ @ServerName +'.'+ @DBName +'.dbo.DBREGISTRY

WHERELABEL = ''Version''

END'

--INSERT INTO @VList

PRINT(@SQL)

END

CLOSE DBs

DEALLOCATE DBs

• drgn38 (5/8/2012)

Thank you for your reply Lynn.

I already was as the Server and DBNames are passed in dynamically in a looping process. I guess I could do try to do dynamic with in dynamic :). Was just hoping there was a better way to do this. What I don't understand is say in your normal practice of IF table exists then drop table. Seems like if validation were an issue these would also fail.

OPEN DBs

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

-- GET VERSION INFO

SET@SQL = '

IFEXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM '+ @ServerName +'.'+ @DBName +'.sys.Objects WHERE Name = ''DBREGISTRY'')

BEGIN

SELECT

'''+ @DBName +'''

,LEFT(Value, CHARINDEX('' ('',Value)-1) AS [Version]

WHERELABEL = ''Version''

END'

--INSERT INTO @VList

PRINT(@SQL)

END

CLOSE DBs

DEALLOCATE DBs

Your code above will not work. Please lookup dynamic sql in Books Online.

• Hello Lynn,

Sorry I am having issues finding the link do you happen to have that. I would love to take a look to see the proper way for writing dynamic SQL as I have never had any issues writing it this way. I am using the same dynamic type queries for about 4 other functions with out issues. The only issue I am having is the fact that it cant parse the query because the table doesn't exist?

Thank you,

Jeremy

• drgn38 (5/8/2012)

Hello Lynn,

Sorry I am having issues finding the link do you happen to have that. I would love to take a look to see the proper way for writing dynamic SQL as I have never had any issues writing it this way. I am using the same dynamic type queries for about 4 other functions with out issues. The only issue I am having is the fact that it cant parse the query because the table doesn't exist?

Thank you,

Jeremy

Nevermind, I missed part of your code. You are fine.

• No worries thank you very much for your assistance.

• I was able to get around this by using dynamic within dynamic as follows. If anyone knows a better way I am all ears.

OPEN DBs

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

-- GET VERSION INFO

SET@SQL = '

EXEC(''

SELECT

'''''+ @DBName +'''''

,LEFT(Value, CHARINDEX('''' ('''',Value)-1) AS [Version]

WHERELABEL = ''''Version'''''')

'

INSERT INTO @VList

EXEC(@SQL)

END

CLOSE DBs

DEALLOCATE DBs

Thank you,

Jerms

• Try Dynamic SQL

I had the same problem and resolved as code given below.

DECLARE @tSQLNvarchar(2000)

SET @tSQL = 'SELECT * FROM RemoteSQL.MyDB.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = '''+'dbo'+''' AND TABLE_NAME = '''+'MyTablel'+''''

exec dbo.sp_executesql @tSQL

PRINT @@ROWCOUNT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply