If employed, why do you go for certifcation??

• Is it earn respect from your colleagues, to put something on your annual evaluation, to negotiate a raise using a cert, or were told to by the management???

The reaction I got from my company is, Good job, but I don't think it matters that much unless if you were to go some place else.... Which is true so you also have to be mindful of the possibility that if you keep earning certifications the management can develop a suspicion that you're getting prepared to leave which jeopardizes your position....

Or to put another way, what benefit have you reaped from getting certified? Has it helped you getting a better job? Any experience or observation???

• Hard to say personally. Although I want to take the certification exams, I just haven't been able to find the time (or should I say I just haven't tried as some would say).

Getting the certifications for me now would be for two reasons. First, to validate my own knowledge, not to get another job or seek a promotion or pay raise. Second, in addition to the first, it will fill the check boxes while seeking the potential for going for the SQL Server MCM certification. That certification, in my opinion, is worth the time and effort it would take to learn and apply as much knowledge about SQL Server as possible.

Most employers I have worked for valued those who earned their certifications. It may have helped some to earn better pay raises or promotions, but others it just proved they could and pass tests but couldn't apply the knowledge.

I worked with a paper MCDBA. He lacked the ability to apply the knowledge he supposedly had based on the certification. I'm surprised that he was even able to provide a decent level of support to his users. Projects he worked on for developing data transfers processes had to be totally rewritten.

It really comes down to what value do you put on the various certifications.

• Respect and confidence comes from within. Do your job well and be nice is what makes a good co-worker.

Did your boss tell you he was afraid you were going to leave? If so it possibly means he has something to hide or feels he's undercompensating you in some way (could be past bad experience too).

If those are only toughts in your head then maybe this is where I start changing!

• I have used certs to justify keeping myself in the top 10%-20% area of the salary ranges for Senior SQL Server DBAs.

If all you have is experience, but non-certification, then you will likely by about the middle of the salary range.

If you have 5-10 years of experience plus MCTS and MCITP, then that would justify you being in the top quintile on a salary review.

If you are not already there, then you could easily get it with a job change.

Look at the salary ranges posted by Robert Half (Robert Half® Technology 2011 Salary Guide)

http://www.rhi.com/External_Sites/content/DM-FreeResources/RHT/downloads/RHT-SG-2011.pdf

2011 for Database Administrator is listed at $76,000 to $109,500. Then there is an adjustment based on skill set and location.

I would say that a certified SQL Server DBA, (MCTS+MCITP) with 5+ years of experience, should defintely be above $100,000 just about anywhere in the USA.

If you are in an expensive area of the USA then $110,000+.

If you have the MCM, I would defintely say you should be at whatever the top end of the salary range is and not a dollar less.

$120,000+ just about anywhere in the USA.

• Personally because I have a hankering for the MCM and these are pre-reqs I can get out of the way during my pursuit. Otherwise, I wouldn't care.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Some employers want you to be certified. There are some benefits for MS partners and that requires a certain # of certs. Sometimes that results in lower support costs or software costs.

Some employers want some proof that you know things.

Some don't care.

For me, ultimately I consider myself self-employed and need to be sure that I have a safety net. Having certifications, or a blog, or some other way to ensure I can get another job is important. Certifications can help there, especially as some HR departments use them as a filter. When you get 100 resumes for a position, that's not a bad filter.

If the boss is worried, ask him if he'd guarantee you a job for the next 2-3 years, or the pay. A company can't do that, and won't. Getting certified is a good way of protecting yourself with a little insurance. It doesn't mean you want to leave, and if the company is sure that's the reason for getting a cert, likely they have very little loyalty to you. Maybe an even better reason to get ceritifed.

Re: the MCM: This is a double edged sword. You don't need the other certs to sit for the MCM exam, and if you can get a free/discounted chance, take it. The exam is a great test of abilities and let's you see where you are. However, it's a double edged sword. Outside of consulting, I know a few companies that are nervous about hiring an MCM. Not because the people wouldn't be qualified, but that high level of cert makes people think that you'd leave for a better paying job at the first chance. If you get it and want to be an FTE, you'll probably have to really sell yourself.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/15/2011)Certifications can help there, especially as some HR departments use them as a filter. When you get 100 resumes for a position, that's not a bad filter.

I would say that is the biggest advantage to having certifications. It certainly gets you to the top of the pile in the HR department.

Many SQL Server job descriptions have MCDBA, MCTS or MCITP in the list of requirements. Having them will certainly present you with more opportunities. When HR scans DICE resumes for certain keywords, those are on the list for SQL Server DBAs. You should have them if you aspire to earning at the higher end of the salary range.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/15/2011)

Re: the MCM: This is a double edged sword. You don't need the other certs to sit for the MCM exam, and if you can get a free/discounted chance, take it. The exam is a great test of abilities and let's you see where you are. However, it's a double edged sword. Outside of consulting, I know a few companies that are nervous about hiring an MCM. Not because the people wouldn't be qualified, but that high level of cert makes people think that you'd leave for a better paying job at the first chance. If you get it and want to be an FTE, you'll probably have to really sell yourself.

This is inaccurate. (Edited for accuracy, corrected below.) As per this:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/master-sql-path.aspx

2. Prerequisite certifications

Candidates must hold the following two prerequisite Microsoft Certifications in order to be awarded an MCM: Microsoft SQL Server 2008:

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2008

MCITP: Database Developer SQL Server 2008

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Evil Kraig F (8/15/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/15/2011)

This is inaccurate. As per this:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/master-sql-path.aspx

2. Prerequisite certifications

Candidates must hold the following two prerequisite Microsoft Certifications in order to be awarded an MCM: Microsoft SQL Server 2008:

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2008

MCITP: Database Developer SQL Server 2008

I think what Steve is saying is that you don't need the certs to take the exams. You need the certs to be awarded the MCM Certification.

• JamesMorrison (8/15/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/15/2011)Certifications can help there, especially as some HR departments use them as a filter. When you get 100 resumes for a position, that's not a bad filter.

I would say that is the biggest advantage to having certifications. It certainly gets you to the top of the pile in the HR department.

Many SQL Server job descriptions have MCDBA, MCTS or MCITP in the list of requirements. Having them will certainly present you with more opportunities. When HR scans DICE resumes for certain keywords, those are on the list for SQL Server DBAs. You should have them if you aspire to earning at the higher end of the salary range.

Craig,

It's not inaccurate. You can sit for the test without having the certs. Multiple people, including myself have done it. You can't get awarded the MCM, but those pre-reqs are not required to take the test.

Craig,

It's not inaccurate. You can sit for the test without having the certs. Multiple people, including myself have done it. You can't get awarded the MCM, but those pre-reqs are not required to take the test.

D'oh! Sorry, now I grok. That's not how I understood it, sorry.

- Craig Farrell

JamesMorrison (8/15/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/15/2011)Certifications can help there, especially as some HR departments use them as a filter. When you get 100 resumes for a position, that's not a bad filter.

Craig,

So did you pass?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply