IdentityColumn is Duplicated ?

• In my web based application Identity column is duplicated when simultaneously record are inserted by different machine

(i think so) i will solution for handling this condition .

• Identity column is duplicated

Do you have any triggers?

If @@IDENTITY is used, replace it with SCOPE_IDENTITY()

• When you say duplicated, do you mean in the data? I've never seen that in normal functions, it must be a bug or you're not using the IDENTITY setting and are instead using some sort of trigger or function. It's also possible you've hit a bug.

If it's a perceived duplication, meaning, the record goes in, but the values you're retrieving are duplicated, then I think the post above has the answer.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• The data in the Identity Column can be duplicated if it is Not a PK or the column is Not Uniquely Indexed. This can be checked by using

SET IDENTITY_INSERT dbo.TableName ON

But, generally, the Indentity Columns are defined as PKs (in most of the cases).

I think the duplication can be stopped by avoiding SET IDENTITY_INSERT dbo.TableName ON while inserting data and let the sql server decide the value to be inserted in the Identity column.

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• IDENTITY columns do not duplicate, even without a constraint, when operating normally. You can force duplicates in by using IDENTITY_INSERT or by doing a RESEED, but the normal behavior is one of constantly increasing values, without duplication because of multiple inserts. None of these circumstances were in the OP.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• You are right Grant. I was just making clear that IDENTITY column may have duplicate values IFF the IDENTITY_INSERT is set to ON while inserting a record OR if RESEED option is used (as you mentioned, I have not checked it).

OP might be using one of these options while inserting records. Otherwise I donot see any resason for duplication in an IDENTITY Column.

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• We are assuming the OP is saying;-

when a simultaneous insert occurs from two client appliactions

the id of the two inserted records in a/the table are identical.

This indicates no existing unique constraint on the coulmn, therfore its not a primary key.

and

The column in question probably is not set set for IDENTITY.

It sounds like a "get last value + 1" type insert........

Post the Create Table script please....:D

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• Hi

you can check your Web page and prevent F5 , disable SUBMIT button(when submits)

Valentin

• If you think your data is corrupted, look for DBCC CheckIdent

paul

• dolly (7/30/2008)

In my web based application Identity column is duplicated when simultaneously record are inserted by different machine

(i think so) i will solution for handling this condition .

I don't think it's an "IDENTITY" column at all... I think that's what they calling it and someone is using MAX+1 or some other method, perhaps like a sequence table, to create "ID's".

Dolly... are you still there?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• From my post before yours Jeff I totally agree.

--Shaun

• Shaun McGuile (8/18/2008)

From my post before yours Jeff I totally agree.

--Shaun

Spot on, Shaun! I missed that... sorry. Good to see I'm not the only one.

Now, if the OP were only kind enough to respond. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• No kidding, drop the grenade & run...

They could be doing something silly with reseed?

• Grant Fritchey (8/18/2008)

No kidding, drop the grenade & run...

Thats not a grenade its a nuke......:D

• Shaun McGuile (8/18/2008)

Grant Fritchey (8/18/2008)

No kidding, drop the grenade & run...

Thats not a grenade its a nuke......:D

COOL! Radioactive pork chops! I'm good with THAT! 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply