I Want Stupid Employees

• Eric M Russell (7/20/2011)

... Going from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 was an exception, but that was six years ago ...

We're finally working on that conversion this year...

We've had limited training budget for many years at my company. External training is very focused, for specific new technologies or processes. Internal training, such as CD-based courses, works well for technology upgrades such as SQL Server 2005. We picked that up about 3 years ago and my team of six did group training with it during our lunch hours. Another group borrowed it and trained at least one person using it (not sure what format they set up for the training). I think the CD set cost $1,400 - so it cost the company $200 per person. Any future use just drops the price further. That's a pretty small investment to bring a team up to speed on new technology, and improve their morale by indicating that they're valuable enough to spend a few dimes on.

Mostly my team (of now four) is self-taught, and we go out looking for free or low-cost training. We all have other interests outside of work that keep us learning and refresh our minds - Toastmasters, martial arts, personal "IT" projects. All of these bring benefits to the work environment.

We ask for company-paid training when it seems appropriate. The Company wants a Certified ScrumMaster? They need to pay for that training. Bringing in Sharepoint? Also a company expense. Keeping up to date on relational databases, or website security initiatives? I chase those on my own (albeit sometimes on company time). Achieving balance is key, and what the balance points are is something each employee and employer have to figure out for their situation.

My company also has a program that will pay you back for taking college classes related to your field - or with permission some other field that might enhance your productivity (like accounting classes if you work with the Accounting Department on their programs). You get the money six months AFTER the classes are completed. And yes, there have been employees who leave in month seven, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• Eric M Russell (7/20/2011)

The skillset for database development and administration, specifically SQL, tends to hold it's value longer relative to other IT skills like web or mobile device development. New features like analytical functions and datatypes are added with each major release, but they are for the most part extensions, nothing that would render obsolete the SQL or database that was well designed to begin with. Going from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 was an exception, but that was six years ago and the next release is not something that would leave 2005 and 2008 users feeling lost or antiquated.

The 'University of Google' also plays a factor.

Programmers, Database Developers and DBAs are pretty net literate and know how to quickly find reference information online.

So when the business foists a newer technology on them, they adapt and can work with it at a functional (though sometimes dangerous) levels. The business side doesn't always get the dangers, and they have the perception that the people can handle the new technologies without training in them.

Again, I think it comes down to making a good proactive case of what the opportunity cost is of NOT training IT people.

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply