I Need Full Info of MCTS(70-431) exam,Please give me Tutorial and Hints.

• Hi all,

What is the best way of preparing for the simulations in 70-431?

I do have the Microsoft certification book for the exam:

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-431): Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005—Implementation and Maintenance

Would going through all the exercises in the book help me do well in the simulations?

I have some experience with SQL 2005 SSMS, but I do a lot through code, so I'm sure I need work in this area.

Apologies if this topic was addressed earlier, I just wasn't able to find a solid answer on how to do well in the simulations.

Thanks!

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Practice, practice, practice with SSMS. Explore the GUI and figure out how to do everything. Right click every menu item, examine every available option, test every possible thing you can think of.

The exercises in the Self-Paced Training Kits don't cover nearly a quarter of what you can do through the GUI, so the only real way to practice for the SIMS is to get to know SSMS yourself.

Also, the Transcender Practice Exam for 70-431 had several sims in it that were semi-helpful.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• just the reading the book and the questions wont be enough.

u have to use the management studio for a while, cos the questions are made for an experianced user.

if you can u have to try using the GUI for every thing in the book, to create and manage every oject in the database.

..>>..

MobashA

• Thanks guys, I will follow your suggestions.

Thanks for the valuable input.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Hi All,

I passed MCTS (70-431) in SQL SERVER 2005..

Regards,

Kiruba sankar.S

(MCTS)

• Congrats Kiruba!

Any legal suggestions on exam prep (I have no intention of ruining my MCDBA status)? I posted this on another string but I am having difficulty with SQL 2005 XML and SSIS. I am using the 70-431 study guide and I can't create the Console Application in Chapter 8, Lesson 3. I am talking to a salesperson at a local instructor led learning center for courses like; 2779, 2780, 2792 & 2795. I have my home lab running on VMWare and trial versions of Server 2003, R2 and SQL 2005 E Edition.

Regards,

David

MCDBA, MCSA

• David,

When you say you can't create it, what problems are you having?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• There isn't a template. Can I download a template or start a console app from scratch?

• I'll have to check. Can you verify which study guide you're using? (Publisher & Author name).

• Publisher = Microsoft Press

There are 7 Authors; Daren Bieniek, Randy Dyess, Mike Hotek, Javier Loria, Adam Machanic, Antonio Soto & Adolfo Wiernik

Thanks much,

David

• Check the errata for the book from the publisher's site. They write the MSPress books while things are in beta, so there tend to be some things in there that sometimes don't get updated after RTM.

431 doesn't require you to create a console app anywhere. It's mostly using SSMS to accomplish a task.

• david (5/6/2008)

... I am using the 70-431 study guide and I can't create the Console Application in Chapter 8, Lesson 3.

David,

You mentioned that SQL 2005 and Windows 2003 were installed, did you install Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition as well? That's where you'd create the console application.

• SSC Addict, I think you hit the nail on the head...the 431 self paced training kit talks about installing VS express but I've been putting that off...I think that this particular practice section is missworded. I'll try VS express and let you know...in the mean time, I'm swamped with head-hunter calls and followup...I have a potential employer that has asked me to do an exercise that will require DDL scripts for about 5 tables, keys constraints...DAL scripts for a couple of reports. I guess I don't mind the practice but it could take an hour or so.

Thanks,

David

• David,

You should be careful. To install VS, you're probably going to have to uninstall SQL 2005 first. When we tried installing SQL before VS (the full version), SQL broke when VS was installed. But when we installed VS first and then SQL, everything worked.

• Thanks for the heads up...sounds like a feature to me. I ran across the same problem on my last trial server setup where VS Express took over SQL 2005 with it's own built in version of SQL express.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply