I got burned today at a SQL Server Interview!

• I think that with a product like SQL Server it's always easy to find questions someone can't answer. Persoanlly when interviewing I have some simple questions which a candidate must answer - then I have questions which are difficult to answer - I'm not actually looking for the answer but how the candidate approaches it because in a real production support environment it's resolving issues which count. We also tend to ask questions which relate to our current working environment because that's what we know, for example mem to leave in x32 systems which can crop up from time to time - should a candidate know this one ( the setting ) I'll normally ask what causes this issue, and so on.

For the DBA I think it's important to fully understand what the client is looking for so read the job spec carefully and if it mentions performance tuning expect to be able to do more than run profiler!

Looking back to some of the points raised I would fail anyone who didn't know the difference between a PK and Unique constraint as I think this is basic stuff. As to which index to use and such - very subjective and the person asking the question might not always be correct - no-one knows it all and no-one is unfailable - I usually know more than the interviewer and it can be quite tricky sometimes finding the diplomatic way to tell them they've actually got their question and answer wrong! On the other hand questions you can't answer will give you an insight into their systems, maybe, I've often gone back to google after an interview to check up on something I didn't know or was unsure of.

It's a tough old world and SQL Server is such a massive product from where it was when i started with 6.0, I don't envy anyone starting out!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I agree with what most everyone has posted here. We have ten questions we ask everyone. They're really easy questions, insulting even, if you know SQL Server to even a small degree. But that's not the interview. That's the goofy trivia contest to get to the interview. The interview is an open-ended discussion. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, we present problems, ones that we solved and ones that haven't yet, so that we can see the machinery at work. That way we get an idea of what you know, how you attack problems and probably as important, how the interviewee works with members of our team.

BTW, from the posts I've seen here, it'd be a real privilege and learning experience to work with most of you people, Gail, Colin, Jeff, Lynn, Jack.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Okay, I feel even smaller now with all this praise. Jeff, the last word most people at work would use to describe me is humble. At work, yes, I know my job and non-techies will admit I am very knowledgeable; but they would more likely use the word arrogant to describe me.

Yes, I admit when it comes to what I DO know, I can be somewhat "strong" in my opinions.

But when I see the things that Jeff, Gail, Matt, Colin, Peter, Grant, and several others come up, I realize that I have a lot more to learn. Maybe it is only little tricks of the trade, or gaining more insight to how things can be done. I still think I'm a 5 of 10, and I don't think that's selling myself short. I think it's an honest appraisal based on seeing what my peers have done.

I think that this site, SSC, is an awesome community of developers, dbas, and managers and that I have a lot more learn. If I am able to give back, which I try, it helps make me a better SQL developer/DBA (Production/Development) (yes, I wear multiple hats here). The last thing I consider myself is a SQL Ninja.

Again, thanks to all for compliments, it feels great (and humbling) to hear such things from people I have only met in cyber world.

Lynn

:cool::blush::cool:

• From the knowledge I have seen in this web site, I really am sure that I am just a Junior DBA..:-) All of you guys and ladies are very knowledgeable compared to me. One thing I know for sure, I have been learning something new everyday from this place..:)

-Roy

• Jeff Moden (2/29/2008)

Folks, when you do an interview, remember... you're not trying to show off how smart YOU are, you're trying to figure out how smart the other person is for the job you want them for... and they're human... half of them are scared to death and you need to find out if they fit it with the group. Be a human... smile... have a good time and leave the sarcasm at the water cooler. The interview process doesn't need to be a butt kicking contest for anyone. Even the folks that I thought were as dumb as a post and had to occasionally be reminded to breath, were all treated with respect and in a friendly manner.

Amen to that. I've had hard interviews, brutal interviews, and "just plain mean" interviews. Interviewing is something grueling for the interviewee, so do remember to be human...

One of my previous jobs gave me the 5 rounds of interviewing treatment. AFTER meeting with the CIO (round #3) - there were TWO technical interviews, last of which was what I would describe as "the firing squad" (six techs on the other side of the table firing off questions). I walked out of the interview room an hour and a half later, and heard one of them say - "well, at least we have ONE candidate that didn't cry...." I did end up getting the job - but I then proceeded to put an end to that practice. There's really no call for that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Lynn Pettis (3/3/2008)

Okay, I feel even smaller now with all this praise. Jeff, the last word most people at work would use to describe me is humble. At work, yes, I know my job and non-techies will admit I am very knowledgeable; but they would more likely use the word arrogant to describe me.

Yes, I admit when it comes to what I DO know, I can be somewhat "strong" in my opinions.

But when I see the things that Jeff, Gail, Matt, Colin, Peter, Grant, and several others come up, I realize that I have a lot more to learn. Maybe it is only little tricks of the trade, or gaining more insight to how things can be done. I still think I'm a 5 of 10, and I don't think that's selling myself short. I think it's an honest appraisal based on seeing what my peers have done.

I think that this site, SSC, is an awesome community of developers, dbas, and managers and that I have a lot more learn. If I am able to give back, which I try, it helps make me a better SQL developer/DBA (Production/Development) (yes, I wear multiple hats here). The last thing I consider myself is a SQL Ninja.

Again, thanks to all for compliments, it feels great (and humbling) to hear such things from people I have only met in cyber world.

Lynn

:cool::blush::cool:

And the funny thing is - I feel the same way, except that my name isn't anywhere near the top of the list. There are still lots of things people just whip up on here that just blow my mind. To quote Wayne (i.e from Wayne's World) - "I am SO not worthy".

I guess it just goes to show how diverse the field is, and how many "hardcore" folks there are floating through here (as opposed to the more "grease monkey" approach to SQL like mine). I love the regular dose of humble pie I get from the "real" Ninja's out there - it keeps me grounded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (3/3/2008)

Jeff Moden (2/29/2008)

Folks, when you do an interview, remember... you're not trying to show off how smart YOU are, you're trying to figure out how smart the other person is for the job you want them for... and they're human... half of them are scared to death and you need to find out if they fit it with the group. Be a human... smile... have a good time and leave the sarcasm at the water cooler. The interview process doesn't need to be a butt kicking contest for anyone. Even the folks that I thought were as dumb as a post and had to occasionally be reminded to breath, were all treated with respect and in a friendly manner.

Amen to that. I've had hard interviews, brutal interviews, and "just plain mean" interviews. Interviewing is something grueling for the interviewee, so do remember to be human...

One of my previous jobs gave me the 5 rounds of interviewing treatment. AFTER meeting with the CIO (round #3) - there were TWO technical interviews, last of which was what I would describe as "the firing squad" (six techs on the other side of the table firing off questions). I walked out of the interview room an hour and a half later, and heard one of them say - "well, at least we have ONE candidate that didn't cry...." I did end up getting the job - but I then proceeded to put an end to that practice. There's really no call for that.

That sounds an awful lot like an interview where I would have been saying, "I don't know, but I know where to find out" and probably would get ticked off instead of crying.

I have been fortunate(?) that I have not come up against any really knowledgeable SQL Server people, like many on this thread, when I have interviewed and the questions have made that fact clear. I have interviewed at small shops that have moved from Access, etc... to SQL Server and need help, so I have been the most knowledgeable SQL person in the room. I had someone say "We have some really complex SQL statements with 3 or more joins how would you handle that?" They also had a SQL test that took about 5 minutes. I think I had to write a 3 table join.

• Lynn Pettis (3/2/2008)

I appreciate the compliment. Now you've set the bar for me even higher. I would be lucky to put myself at 5 out 10 on scale of 10 in my knowledge of SQL Server. I know there is a lot more to learn from people like you, Jeff, Matt, Steve, et al.

:blush:

There have been studies done that show that people with really weak skills tend to overestimate their ability when compared to others, while those with the most skill tend to underestimate themselves, often severely, when compared to others. (http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb03/overestimate.html and http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf)

Doesn't mean if someone thinks they are poor at something that they are actually good at it, but it does point out a tendency of the highly skilled to realize how much they don't know and then to assume that others must know more.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/3/2008)

Lynn Pettis (3/2/2008)

I appreciate the compliment. Now you've set the bar for me even higher. I would be lucky to put myself at 5 out 10 on scale of 10 in my knowledge of SQL Server. I know there is a lot more to learn from people like you, Jeff, Matt, Steve, et al.

:blush:

There have been studies done that show that people with really weak skills tend to overestimate their ability when compared to others, while those with the most skill tend to underestimate themselves, often severely, when compared to others. (http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb03/overestimate.html and http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf)

Doesn't mean if someone thinks they are poor at something that they are actually good at it, but it does point out a tendency of the highly skilled to realize how much they don't know and then to assume that others must know more.

I've gone into an interview feeling I was a 7 or 8 out of 10. I left the interview knowing if I got the job, I would be in the presence of others with much greater knowledge and the opportunity to learn a lot. I didn't get the job, but I have been able to able some of what I was shown during the interview where I work now, as well as in some of the posts I have done in the past. Not that I am underestimating myself, just that I have moved the bar based on what I have found out I don't know. Best thing, however, is I know where to look when I know there is something else I can do but I am having a "forest and trees" moment.

😎

• I think it's very difficult to judge your skill set against others, and as I often say the product is so wide that you may have no experience of some areas, I for example have zero SSIS skills as where ever I work they have dedicated people who do this ( well so far! ) I think as long as you're happy to accept you'll never know it all and be really willing to learn from others, which is why I love SQL central so much, you'll get there in the end. It all depends on where you work too and what exposure you get there, as a contractor I get to see probably more systems and problems than the averge permy. Interesting thread.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Me too 😉 ... I know zippity-squat on the SSIS and the SSRS sides of the house... zippity-squat times 2 on the development studio. Like what's been already stated, they have people to do those things. When they run into performance problems with the code behind the scenes, that's normally where I jump in.

Except for ad-hoc imports, I never wrote anything in DTS, either... always found some high performance method to do it all in T-SQL when it came to production code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Me too. I haven't a clue where to begin with SSAS. I have done some SSIS, but I'm just barely functional, not competent. SSRS is probably going to become a close friend (I'm taking over SCOM & the SQL Server Management Pack for my team, bleh!), but right now... Nothing. Heck, I spend so much time working in development & design, I forget how to do backups & restores, let alone advanced system manipulation and setup.

If this place didn't exist, we'd have to invent it. I'm constantly learning new stuff on here.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• "Resistance is futile....Your experience will be assimilated into the SQl Server Central collective....":D

• Actually, I haven't even thrown in SSIS, SSRS, or SSAS. If I added those in, my score would drop. On SSIS (2 or 3 of 10), SSRS (1 of 10), SSAS (1 of 10). We are using SSIS, and I am learning a lot. We will be using SSRS and SSAS, and I will need to learn those well also.

My rating myself 5 of 10 is strictly on the SQL side of the house; development/production DBA skills.

There are quite a few people on this site, and else where whose knowledge surpasses mine, and would love to learn from them.

😎

• Again? Damn!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 357 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply