i get the following errors when i run the package.

• hi all,

i am using a package to populate a SQl database with source data from oracle.i am also using lookups..for adding dimension id's into fact tables.

i get the following errors when i run the package.

[oracle][ODBC][ora] ora-03113: end of file on communication channel

[oracle][ODBC][ora] ora-12571:TNS :packet writer faliure

what should i do about it.

i am is dire need for help could anyone please guide me what to do.i am badly stuck..

i would be grateful..thnx

• Why don't you use the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle for your connection, instead of the Oracle driver? I found this solved a lot of headaches in the past.

Joseph

• i am using the other connection for connecting with oracle Db it works perfectly well when i use a package to load

dimensions but doesnt work when i use it to load fact tables..

the only major difference i figure out between these packages is that in one fact tables..i am using lookups..

it is giving TNS writer failiure

coz if i try to use..

oracle or OLE Db provider for oracle it does not connect properly with oracle

• could anyone plese help me out .i posted my problem but did not get proper help.i am in serious trouble.i would be very grateful if anyone is able to help or guide me.please

• I am definitely NOT an expert with Oracle or have used it very much however,

Do you have the data-type conversions (if needed) set properly for the fact tables?

What does the code do when ran manually?

What does the code do when NOT ran via the DTS package?

You may want to walk the code via QA and remove different pieces from it one at a time until you find the culprit.

Good Luck!

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Revenue Assurance Management - AT&T

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• hi!

this looks like a timeout or something similar within the NETx subsystem of oracle.

1st step: get your oracle handbook and check the ORA-xxxxx numbers of your errors! could have something todo with your networking setup!

2nd step: reinstall the *matching* oracle client tools (they've sometimes troubles with installation order and multilanguage environments).

3rd step: connect using the *oracle* OLEDB provider! don't fuss around with the microsoft proiver for ODBC and the oracle ODBC driver. i've experienced the oracle driver is the only one not having troubles eg. with datatypes like TEXT or IMAGE, respecively CLOB or BLOB.

if that does not work, you've definitely a networking problem. check your NETx installation. check for MSDTC running on the initiating machine, etc.

best regards,

chris.

• The ora errors indicate that you are killing or diconnecting your session to the oracle instance. I assume you are executing a public procedure inside an oracle package from the SQL Server environment. Given that you can successfully execute another package I would eliminate network layer problems initially as a source of your problem.

My first approach would be to run this procedure natively in Oracle. Create a few dummy tables to mimik the SQL Server environment. Also, make sure your calling parameters (if you have any) are in the correct order and of the correct data type.

If this is the first time you tried to run this procedure there is a chance you ran into a programming bug and some exception is not caught properly. As a last thought, does your overall process touch any Oracle table twice, ie update and read a table in the same process? You may need to investigate the code in the package.

Cheers,

Win

• hi,

when i use the same process for populating a samll fact table it is successfull.is it possible that i get TNS packet writer error when i have a very large table in whci i have rows.

when i use the package for small number of rows it runs does not give any error but the dimension id which i am trying to add via lookup is not added..

what should i do about this.

• If you get the same error messages as before: ora-03113 followed by ora-12571 it means your packet did not arrive because you got kicked off the oracle instance. You will need to find out why you are being kicked off.

Cheers,

Win

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply