how to use reusable code

• Hi guys, Please help me with this ASAP

I got a code which is reused so many times in my query...it's a long code..i want to know wether i can set a name to that code and use that name instead of that code..i tried of using userdefined function but i couldnt get that as i'm not that much practised on that..

so here is the code..

(substring(stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),0,charindex('\',stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),charindex('\',stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),charindex('\',stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),3)+1)+1)),column)

i need to use the above code for so many times in my query

the output of that code is a string..

in breif the string will be like

\\tom\kit.sun.ek\abs\free\tog

if i use the above code for this string i'll get the result as

\\tom\kit\abs\free

in the above code colum=\\tom\kit.sun.ek\abs\free\tog

Thanq in advance

• creating custom functions and other stored procedure alike objects is the way to go.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • neliii (5/10/2010)

Hi guys, Please help me with this ASAP

I got a code which is reused so many times in my query...it's a long code..i want to know wether i can set a name to that code and use that name instead of that code..i tried of using userdefined function but i couldnt get that as i'm not that much practised on that..

so here is the code..

(substring(stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),0,charindex('\',stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),charindex('\',stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),charindex('\',stuff(column,CHARINDEX('.', column),CHARINDEX('\',column,3)-CHARINDEX('.',column),''),3)+1)+1)),column)

i need to use the above code for so many times in my query

the output of that code is a string..

in breif the string will be like

\\tom\kit.sun.ek\abs\free\tog

if i use the above code for this string i'll get the result as

\\tom\kit\abs\free

in the above code colum=\\tom\kit.sun.ek\abs\free\tog

Thanq in advance

I suspect that you're going to have a busy day when you finally get your code written because your formula results in the following...

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 3

Incorrect syntax near ','.

So that I don't actually have to read a 416 character, undocumented, unformatted, single line formula in your code, tell me this... are you always trying to return the 3rd directory after the machine name or are you just trying to strip off everything after the last backslash?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply