How to use order by clause in derived table sql server 2008

• Hi,

How to use order by clause in derived table sql server 2008?

My query is

SELECT * FROM

(

select RegionID,RegionCode,RegionName,Active,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY RegionID ) AS RowNumber,count(*) over() as MaxNum

from RegionMaster

)as Pagedrecords

WHERE RowNumber BETWEEN (@StartIndex+1) AND @EndIndex

ORDER BY RegionCode

This Works fine.But I need to use order by clause in inner query like

• No reason why you can't move that into the derived table. I've done it before.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Order by is only permitted in the outer-most select statement unless there is a TOP. Order by on a subquery is only honoured if there is a row-limiting TOP (not top 100%) and then only for the purposes of calculating the TOP, not necessarily for the display order of the returned resultset.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/17/2011)

Order by is only permitted in the outer-most select statement unless there is a TOP. Order by on a subquery is only honoured if there is a row-limiting TOP (not top 100%) and then only for the purposes of calculating the TOP, not necessarily for the display order of the returned resultset.

Oh crud, I wasn't thinking (again). Right, you have to have a TOP operation too. Nuts. Sorry. Thanks for the correction Gail (again).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply