How to tell which is installed: SQL server 2000 vs MSDE

• I have been tasked with upgrading all the servers and workstations we have from sp3a to sp4.

I thought, hey, no big deal.  All the sudden I'm realizing we have a lot more servers and workstations with sqlservr.exe.

I'm pretty sure I know which machines have SQL Server and and which have MSDE, but is there an easy way to tell?

TIA.

-Megan

• You can use this tool:

http://www.specialopssecurity.com/labs/sqlrecon/1.0/down.php

Andy

• Check out 'xp_msver' or @@version.

• For those machines with MSDE you will probably need to find out who the vendior was that supplied the software and their tech support number. I've had to perform this type of upgrade in the past and run into a few distinct MSDE situations.

1) blank sa password (ughh)

2) sa password has been set by the vendor (but not known to you)...

but BUILTIN/Administrators is there for a back door

3) sa password has been set by the vendor (again,  not known to you)

and BUILTIN/Administrators has been removed !

Cases 1 & 2 are easily remedied (you can patch these systems without vendor assistance).

Case 3 requires you to contact the vendor. Some are very happy to provide the sa password (after all you own the software application and the data) and a select few may make you jump though hoops (just keep asking for the next level of assistance) and be persistant.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply