how to tell if a particular Access table is being used in an app

• hiya,

I've been handed an Access app that contains no documentation.The developer has vanished :-0

I want to rip out all the unused tables, Is there any way that I can tell which tables are actually being used?

The only thing that I can think of is using a word search on the client code....

Is there a better approach?

Many thanks,

yogi 

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Yogi,

I use Total Access Analyzer by FMS Inc. Check out their web site at http://www.fmsinc.com/Products/analyzer/index.html. It fully documents the database and identifies all objects, not just tables, that are not used by the queries, forms, reports or code. It saves me hours of work on my database projects and I wouldn't develop a database without it. I would run it against the one you got stuck with to see how it was put together.

SSgtDD

SSgtDevildog

• Search google for Rick Fischer Find and replace.

Buy the version you need (try the demo first) and search for that table name.

I've been using this product for years and it saves me an incredible amount of time.

The FMS program is great but overkill for your problem.

• thanks for taking the time folks..great suggestions.I only need for a single project, so I'll try and persuade mr budget for the "find and replace".

cheers all,

yogi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply