How to study for Replication and Mirroring

• Hello there folks?

I am currently studying for MCTS with MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit by Microsoft Publishing company.

I am wondering how one should go about to setup a testing environment for subjects like Mirroring and Replication.

The training kit book tells me that one would need 3 instances of SQL Servers installed for practices.

How did you guy study for replication and mirroring? I have only 1 machine running SQL Server so i managed to test Log Shipping but for replication and mirroring, i have no clue where to begin.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

• hi , if you install a second instance of SQL Server .

Than you should be all set!!

• So, basically, I wouldn't need a new "physical server" to test those out but create new named instances of SQL server on the same machine?

I am still reading about Mirroring and I will try to give it a try.

Thank you for the tips there, Sureindran Nadesan.

EDIT*: I am sorry that I did not pay attention too much to the book as I should.

The book said 3 "instances" of SQL Servers not 3 physical SERVERs running an instance of SQL Server for each.

• Hi dance2die,

I'm also starting to test replication in 2005. Would appreciate if you can share some pitfalls and ouches along the way... Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

SQL 2000 (Clustered)/SQL 2005

• I just haven't been able to fully master the replication yet...

So when I think i am ready and am able to share some pitfalls i will make sure to post it

• Try to use virtulization sofware like VMWare or Microsoft Virtual Server. It allows you to set up multiple clients and servers on one PC depending on how powerful is your PC.

• In SQL Server 2000 you can set up replication in one box the only requirement is a service account for SQL Server Agent.  I have not tried it in SQL Server 2005 but that is something to look into.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gift Peddie

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply