How to send a log file through Send Mail Task?

• Hello everyone

I am trying to attach a log file or insert into email body a text from the same log file.

My Send Mail task keeps failing.

Scenario 1

I am trying to attach a log file to my email:

Send Mail properties:

MessageSourceType = Variable

MessageSource = User::MyVar (MyVar is set as expression to a fully qualified path D:\log\MyLogFile.log)

FileAttachment is set as expression @User::MyVar resolving to the above file with path.

Logging is enabled and works fine - I see file D:\log\MyLogFile.log being generated and I can open it etc...

I am getting the following error:

[Send Mail Task] Error: Either the file "D:\SSIntegrationServices\log\Person_DataLoad_2009-02-27.log" does not exist or you do not have permissions to access the file.

Scenario 2

I am trying to insert text from the log file into email body

Send Mail properties:

MessageSourceType = File Connection

MessageSource = Log ConnectionManager Name

I am getting the follwoing error:

[Send Mail Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".

Please help!

Pit

• Is D a local or mapped drive?

Are you attempting this via BIDS, a scheduled job, dtsexec?

• Jack Corbett (3/2/2009)

Is D a local or mapped drive?

Are you attempting this via BIDS, a scheduled job, dtsexec?

D drive is local.

I tried three ways:

From BIDS - 1. execute standalone task - it actually works.

2. execute the entire package - fails

From SQL Agent - schedule and run the entire package - fails

It seems to me that somehow the log file is used by another process and not released on time for consumption by Send Mail Task...

Thanks,

Pit.

• I am trying to attach a log file or insert into email body a text from the same log file.

My Send Mail task keeps failing.

Scenario 1

I am trying to attach a log file to my email:

Send Mail properties:

MessageSourceType = Variable

MessageSource = User::MyVar (MyVar is set as expression to a fully qualified path D:\log\MyLogFile.log)

FileAttachment is set as expression @User::MyVar resolving to the above file with path.

Logging is enabled and works fine - I see file D:\log\MyLogFile.log being generated and I can open it etc...

I am getting the following error:

[Send Mail Task] Error: Either the file "D:\SSIntegrationServices\log\Person_DataLoad_2009-02-27.log" does not exist or you do not have permissions to access the file.

------------------------

hey,

this worked perfectly for me

Hello everyone

please make sure that in expression choose property as "File attachments" and in expression choose User::MyVar

• I had the same problem - I solved it with a little workaround: just create a copy of the locked file and attach it to the mail. worked fine in my case

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply