How to restart transaction log application after reboot of primary

• Greetings, I have log shipping set up and functioning properly. Yesterday the priary server was rebooted and that has caused problems. Logs are being shipped to the standby server but not being applied. I see them on both servers. On the standby server the .tuf file is time stamped at the last ship time prior to the primary being rebooted. What do I need to do to to start the application of the logs and get the standby caught up? Thanks.

• Disable all log-shipping jobs for the database.  Take a full backup of the primary database and restore it on the target/secondary server.  Then re-enable the log-shipping jobs and run them in order (t-log backup, copy and restore).  This should get everything back in-sync.  Hope that this helps.  Thanks.

• Thanks for the response but this raises a couple of additional questions. If I backup the primary and restore it to the secondary what would I gain by running the log shipping jobs? Isn't the standby now a copy of the primary? It almost sounds as if it makes sense to just recreate the maintenance plan as if starting from scratch.

I am wondering if, since all the transaction logs are already on the standby isn't there a way to apply them and get the datbases back in sync? It seems though that this won't work because there is no guarantee that, when the primary was rebooted, that all transactions were written to the logs. Unless there is a way to checkpoint the database, stop activity, stop log shipping, reboot the server and restart the log shipping.

I am still a bit puzzled by this and any clarification would help. Thanks

• You won't have to run the log-shipping jobs at that exact moment, although, you may want to do so.  If you have an OLTP database where users could be updating the database while you are backing it up and restoring it, running the log-shipping jobs not only check to ensure that you will be back on schedule, but also bring the database back into full sync.   Hope that this helps.  Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply