how to replace function to sp or view

• Hay everyone, i need your help , i have one function and one SP both are working fine, but the problem is my host server didn't allow me to create functions so i have to convert my function to view or another SP but when i convert it , it gives me error as my main SP didn't get any parameter and function works on each row so plz help me how i do convert it or adjust my function in my main query.

Here are my function and SP.

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[IsMemberPaid] (@SystemUserID int)

RETURNS varchar(10)

AS

BEGIN

declare @Return varchar(10)

select @Return = dbo.MemberFees.FeesAmount

FROM dbo.SystemUsers LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.MemberFees ON dbo.SystemUsers.SystemUserID = dbo.MemberFees.SystemUserID LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.FeesCategory ON dbo.MemberFees.FeesCategoryID = dbo.FeesCategory.FeesCategoryID

WHERE dbo.SystemUsers.SystemRoleID = 2 AND dbo.SystemUsers.SystemUserID = @SystemUserID

IF(@Return IS NOT Null)

SET @Return = 'YES'

ELSE

SET @Return = 'NO'

return @Return

END

and my main SP is :

SELECTdbo.SystemUsers.SystemUserID, dbo.SystemUsers.ForeName, dbo.SystemUsers.SurName, dbo.SystemRoles.RoleName, dbo.SystemUserStatusCodes.StatusCodeName,

dbo.Country.CountryName, dbo.Parent.FatherForeName, dbo.MemberShipType.MemberShipName, dbo.SystemUsers.Gender, dbo.SystemUsers.MaritalStatus, dbo.SystemUsers.Email,

dbo.SystemUsers.Address1, dbo.SystemUsers.MobileNo, dbo.SystemUsers.HomeNo, dbo.SystemUsers.IsActive, --dbo.IsMemberPaid(dbo.SystemUsers.SystemUserID) AS FeesPaid,

[dbo].[SystemUsers].[DateOfBirth],[dbo].[SystemUsers].Address2,dbo.[SystemUsers].Address3,[dbo].[SystemUsers].County,dbo.[SystemUsers].PostCode,dbo.[SystemUsers].IsContactByEmail

FROMdbo.SystemUsers INNER JOIN

dbo.SystemRoles ON dbo.SystemUsers.SystemRoleID = dbo.SystemRoles.SystemRoleID INNER JOIN

dbo.SystemUserStatusCodes ON dbo.SystemUsers.StatusCode = dbo.SystemUserStatusCodes.StatusCode INNER JOIN

dbo.Country ON dbo.SystemUsers.CountryID = dbo.Country.CountryID INNER JOIN

dbo.MemberShipType ON dbo.SystemUsers.MemberShipTypeID = dbo.MemberShipType.MemberShipTypeID left outer join

dbo.Parent ON dbo.SystemUsers.ParentID = dbo.Parent.ParentID

WHEREdbo.SystemUsers.SystemRoleID = 2

its a very simple Sp but i didn't get without using function how i get this. As when i call another SP in this Sp as

exec secondSP SystemUsers.SystemUserID

it gives me error in the above line, same case with view as view didn't allow me to set parameter.

plz help me how i convert this function to view or sp or adjust it to my main SP as i didn't understand how i pass each row ID to this.

Plz reply me asap. Its very urgent.

Thanx in Advance.

• The function you have doesn't look very good written...

Actually you would not need this function in the first place!

Anyway, here is a replacement query for your sp:

;WITH PaidFeesUsers

AS

(

SELECT DISTINCT sus.SystemUserID, 'YES' AS FeesPaid

FROM dbo.SystemUsers AS sus

JOIN dbo.MemberFees AS mf

ON sus.SystemUserID = mf.SystemUserID

JOIN dbo.FeesCategory AS fc

ON mf.FeesCategoryID = fc.FeesCategoryID

WHERE sus.SystemRoleID = 2

AND mf.FeesAmount IS NOT NULL

)

SELECT sus.SystemUserID

,sus.ForeName

,sus.SurName

,srl.RoleName

,usc.StatusCodeName

,cnt.CountryName

,pnt.FatherForeName

,mst.MemberShipName

,sus.Gender

,sus.MaritalStatus

,sus.Email

,sus.Address1

,sus.MobileNo

,sus.HomeNo

,sus.IsActive

,ISNULL(pfu.FeesPaid, 'NO') AS FeesPaid

,sus.DateOfBirth

,sus.Address2

,sus.Address3

,sus.County

,sus.PostCode

,sus.IsContactByEmail

FROM dbo.SystemUsers AS sus

INNER JOIN dbo.SystemRoles AS srl

ON sus.SystemRoleID = srl.SystemRoleID

INNER JOIN dbo.SystemUserStatusCodes AS usc

ON sus.StatusCode = usc.StatusCode

INNER JOIN dbo.Country AS cnt

ON sus.CountryID = cnt.CountryID

INNER JOIN dbo.MemberShipType AS mst

ON sus.MemberShipTypeID = mst.MemberShipTypeID

LEFT JOIN dbo.Parent AS pnt

ON sus.ParentID = pnt.ParentID

LEFT JOIN PaidFeesUsers AS pfu

ON pfu.SystemUserID = sus.SystemUserID

WHERE sus.SystemRoleID = 2

Please note: using the aliases and a bit better formatting makes query much more readable...

P.S. you don't need CTE and can have all required joins added into main query IF all tables in CTE are not 1-to-Many related to each other...

relationship

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• SELECT SU.SystemUserID,

SU.ForeName,

SU.SurName,

SR.RoleName,

SUSC.StatusCodeName,

C.CountryName,

P.FatherForeName,

MT.MemberShipName,

SU.Gender,

SU.MaritalStatus,

SU.Email,

SU.Address1,

SU.MobileNo,

SU.HomeNo,

SU.IsActive,

FeesPaid =

CASE

WHEN EXISTS

(

SELECT *

FROM dbo.MemberFees MF

WHERE MF.SystemUserID = SU.SystemUserID

AND SU.SystemRoleID = 2

)

THEN 'Yes'

ELSE 'No'

END,

SU.[DateOfBirth],

SU.Address2,

SU.Address3,

SU.County,

SU.PostCode,

SU.IsContactByEmail

FROM

dbo.SystemUsers SU

JOIN

dbo.SystemRoles SR

ON SU.SystemRoleID = SR.SystemRoleID

JOIN

dbo.SystemUserStatusCodes SUSC

ON SU.StatusCode = SUSC.StatusCode

JOIN

dbo.Country C

ON SU.CountryID = C.CountryID

JOIN

dbo.MemberShipType MT

ON SU.MemberShipTypeID = MT.MemberShipTypeID

LEFT

JOIN dbo.Parent P

ON SU.ParentID = P.ParentID

WHERE

SU.SystemRoleID = 2;

• Try to avoid writing scalar user-defined functions. Try even harder to avoid writing scalar user-defined functions that access data tables. Instead of writing a function to process one row at a time (which is almost always going to have horrible performance) try to write a set-based solution. The code I submitted shows one way to achieve that.

• I though that the join to FeesCategory table in a function, whould ensure something... But I have overlooked that the LEFT JOIN has been used. However, function also checks if the MemberFees.FeesAmount returned is not NULL. I think they may have the record in the table with NULL value for the amount, therefore mf.FeesAmount IS NOT NULL check should added into SELECT statement and er WHEN EXISTS.

Also, I wonder, will EXISTS look up for each returned record of main query be faster than using CTE? If so, will it be always faster?

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• thanx guys, its working now and thanx for your suggestion also.

• Eugene Elutin (6/25/2010)

I though that the join to FeesCategory table in a function, whould ensure something... But I have overlooked that the LEFT JOIN has been used. However, function also checks if the MemberFees.FeesAmount returned is not NULL. I think they may have the record in the table with NULL value for the amount, therefore mf.FeesAmount IS NOT NULL check should added into SELECT statement and er WHEN EXISTS.

To be honest, I didn't give it too much thought. Without table definitions and sample data, we're just coding blind anyway. I tend to put more effort in when the questioner does 🙂

Also, I wonder, will EXISTS look up for each returned record of main query be faster than using CTE? If so, will it be always faster?

Probably faster, probably always, but it depends on the data and the exact plan chosen.

A semi join is typically more efficient since it can stop probing as soon as any match is found. A join must examine all records. Of course, the optimiser is free to transform EXISTS and certain JOIN constructs so both or neither might be implemented as a semi join...as I say, it does rather depend.

In this case, I would expect a (logically correct) EXISTS to out-perform the DISTINCT + JOIN combination. We were working on our solutions concurrently - so my code was not a response (or criticism) of yours - it just seemed natural to transform the join to an exists to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply