how to reinstall server w/ MS SQL

• Hi all: I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am considering a server reinstall moving from MS Server 2003 x64 to 2008 x64.

The server has three drives (arrays):

c-drive for OS

d-drive for apps and supporting data (ms sql installed here)

s-drive for sql databases

My plan would be to reformat both the c and d drives, install a clean server 2008 x64, SQL 2005 x64, and other supporting applications. The rebuilt server would end up with the same server name as the original.

Alas, I have never done this and need to read up (a lot) on how to do the above. My big concern is how to recreate my SQL install. The databases won't be touched (on s-drive) but the master and user databases are on the d-drive which will get reformatted.

So, can you point me in the right direction??

• If you have a document showing what options were used in the original install, or scripts that did the install, that is the best choice.

If you have to start from nothing, take a look at SQL Server FineBuild on Codeplex. This can give you a repeatable 1-click install of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply