How to Reduce the page count on Heap Index

• I had a db with many tables which don't have any clustered or non clustered indexes but when i run the below query its show avg_fragement _percentage around 90% & page count in millions

SELECT dbschemas.[name] as 'Schema',

dbtables.[name] as 'Table',

dbindexes.[name] as 'Index',

indexstats.avg_fragmentation_in_percent,

indexstats.page_count

FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats (DB_ID(), NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL) AS indexstats

INNER JOIN sys.tables dbtables on dbtables.[object_id] = indexstats.[object_id]

INNER JOIN sys.schemas dbschemas on dbtables.[schema_id] = dbschemas.[schema_id]

INNER JOIN sys.indexes AS dbindexes ON dbindexes.[object_id] = indexstats.[object_id]

AND indexstats.index_id = dbindexes.index_id

WHERE indexstats.database_id = DB_ID()

ORDER BY indexstats.avg_fragmentation_in_percent desc

can you help me out how to reduce the page count with out creating any indexes or any other way to release the unused space

Thanks

• Create a clustered index on that table (and leave it there). There are few good reasons to have a table as a heap, very few. The storage engine is designed to work best with tables that have clustered indexes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You do realize that indexes are absolutely wonderful things and extremely helpful in lots of situations? Lots of heap tables on a database sounds like a very questionable design. I'd strongly suggest reexamining it.

And yeah, if you want to de-fragment heaps, you need to use an index to do it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply