how to reduce the memory usage in sql server 2016

• Hi All,

When Running applications that time sql server Memory usage 95% taken it is ok but

When No Application running the time also memory usage 95% shown in Task manager.

My Problem is when application not running that time memory not used is better me.

how to reduce the system memory usage when application not running time.

Regards

Polos

• This is by design.

SQL once it has got the memory will not release it unless the operating system asks for it.

SQL is designed to read from RAM, every page request is read from disk into RAM and lives in RAM until it is stale enough to drop out of the operating system says it needs RAM for OS activities.

I would suggest reading up on SQL memory management and ensure you have set the MIN/MAX server RAM accordingly.

The accidental DBA Guide has a whole chapter on memory management for a starter for 10.

https://www.red-gate.com/library/troubleshooting-sql-server-a-guide-for-accidental-dbas

• Yep. Reinforce the correct answer.

Set a max memory that leaves a little bit for the operating system and walk away. SQL Server will use the memory you give it. And, you should give it as much as you possibly can.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply