How to read and store GPRS packets into SQL Server (Urgent Please)

• Hi guys,

I need to build a server that listens to an IP/port, read the packets sent by clients then store them in a database. (not real time as such but many clients can send packets at the same time!).

Does SQL server 2000 have anything that can do the job or shall I write a server application that reads through the TCP/UDP socket then sends the data to sql server?

I need some help, articles, sample code (only do VB, C++, C#)...

Any expert out there who might help?

Thanks

Kad

•  

There are specialized applications for this. Usually they will log to a file (can be a different server) and you then bulk insert this into SQL. Routers also can produce logs that you can process and report on from SQL. Much easier than reinventing the weel.

You can do it directly to SQL. Sniffing a port is easy but you will have to thread and queue not to loose anything since network IO may be higher that you max disk IO. That's the main reason not to insert directly in SQL. Another reason is you may loose precious data if the server is not available for some reason. Logging to files and batching to sql for report is the usual way I have seen and used.

• If you are talking about GPS, let me know. I am developing a mobile application that uses real-time GPS data, and I have all of the data capture stuff up and running.  Still working on the maps at this point.

The data comes from both GPRS and CDMA devices that have GPS units built-in.

jg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply