How to practise DBA activities on my own.

• Dear SQL Gurus,

We are having very small databases here to work on ( 10 MB to 1.5 GB ).These databases rearely (probably never) give any performance or any other issues , so hat we DBAs can use whatever the theory we have learnedand and improve our knowledge. Infact we hardly have anything to work on as DBA, hence company is using us for development using other technologies (which we don't want since we want to focus only on SQL Server).

Since we have no experience in handling huge databases it's bit difficult to find another job as DBA. (Gave few interviews and couldn't ge through....Lacks real experience..).

So before giving further interviews, I realy want to work on some huge databases (atleast 50 GB) and I decided to do the same in my home PC.

Can anyone help me how to go about it.

How to create huge database ? What are the things I can try for testing purpose ?

How can I simulate diff problems..?.

Please guide me.

Have learned lot of theory which I almost forgot since I don't use it at all in live scenario.

Thanks in advace.

• Hi ,

Books online is your friend in this matter. Even if you have huge database you cannot replicate the real time environment. There are lot to learn other than performance tuning in SQL Server like replication,logshipping,backup ,restore,architecture etc etc ...

You can use adventure works DB to learn many things.

• As mentioned in previous post, using the sample databases will help you more than generating your own databases. work with the tutorials that are in place for the adventureworks databases and you will learn more.

Database size is irrelevant when learning the basics or concepts. you can learn most things purely with the sample databases that are provided with sql server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Books online is your friend in this matter. Even if you have huge database you cannot replicate the real time environment. There are lot to learn other than performance tuning in SQL Server like replication,logshipping,backup ,restore,architecture etc etc ...

You can use adventure works DB to learn many things.

Thanks for the reply.

Infact I am quite familiar with replication,logshipping,backup ,restore,architecture,

Mirrroring, etc. (except clustering.) and work on all these and have good knowledge as well.But I am not satisfied.

• San-847017

Can anyone help me how to go about it.

How to create huge database ? What are the things I can try for testing purpose ?

How can I simulate diff problems..?.

First off let me congratulate you on your efforts to increase your knowledge.

Might I suggest using the already available DBs such as AdventureWorks, and adding your own tables to them to increase the DB size. Read this article by Jeff Moden, http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Advanced+Querying/61716/

scroll down to the end of the article and under Resources copy Jeff's code to create a 1,000,000 row table. I am sure you can modify the code to create more than a single table with other data types, or to add rows to existing tables . This will increase you DB size and complexity.

Then violate every good practice turn off auto_stats create and update, remove indexes. etc., etc.

Write simple and complex queries .. record the I/O times, seeks, table scans, execution plans etc.

Then go back and add a good practice, like a clustered index .. rerun the queries and again record the information.

Then you could state in an interview that I improved the performance of a complex select procedure by "adding a clustered index", or I improved performance on a select from a 10 million row table by creating a covering index. And you will be telling the truth.

Start a second copy of SSMS and log on as another user, and attempt to create blocking and solve that problem (other than logging off as the additional user). Let your imagination go a bit wild.

And Good Luck in your endeavors.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks a ton bitbucket. Was expecting such replys.

Started doing all these. Planning to attend MCTS exam within 15 days.

SQL Experts...any other suggestions/links ?.

Once again thanks a lot.

• That was great Bitbucket 😀

• Hi,

if your company is happy to spend a bit of money, then Red-gate to a tool called SQL Generator which will create as much data as you like. It also sets up hierarchical relationships with primary & foreign keys. It's currently retailing for £200.

HTH,

Martin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply