How to pass parameters into inline UDF from a sub query

• Suppose I have an inline UDF as follows:

“create function f_Fglastpurchaseinfo(@m_locationid varchar(15),@m_itemcode varchar(15))

returns table

as return

-----------

--------“

Now, I would like to pass these parameters into “f_Fglastpurchaseinfo” from a sub query as follows:

“select  mytable.name1,mytable.name2, myudf.quantity,myudf.price ……..

from tbltable as mytable left join f_Fglastpurchaseinfo(mytable.locationid,mytable.itemcode)

as myudf on…….”

But I cannot pass mytable.locationid or mytable.itemcode , it shows as error message.

Can u help me on that?

..Better Than Before...

• What is the error? On what are you joining?

An inline table function doesn't return field names or field information. You may need to do a Multi-statement table-valued function so that you can specify field names.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Rawhide

i think u have'nt got my point..

i have not any problem in returning part but problem in param part

got it?

..Better Than Before...

• Perhaps I would understand better if you told me what the error is. I'm good, but I'm not psychic.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• In a prior post I once wrote:

@ http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=23&messageid=19016#bm90510

I was wanting to do the same thing some time ago... I realized that Table Function parameters can NOT be values from a "Joined" table. I think is is because the Table Function is meant to return a complete recordset for every call, and a "Join" wants one record set at a time. What I did, was have the Table Function return ALL the records needed for the entire Select. In other words, Select from Progress_Notes all the required Date_ values, or Min(), Max() range of Date_, placed into @Vars, then use the @Vars as the parameters to the Table Function. The Table Function should include the column with Date_ values so you can use it as part of Join. I'm hoping like you are, that someone comes back and tells us it can be done in an "inline" manner.

Once you understand the BITs, all the pieces come together

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply