How to monitor a database in SQL Server 2005?

• Hi,

Is there any inbuilt procedure exist to monitor a database in SQL Server 2005? or How to monitor a database? Or is there good third party tool exist.

It is very help full to me if you provided the details.

Thanks in advance.

• depends completely on what you want to monitor.

Monitoring usually refers to the whole server in general .

For built in reports, go to the Object Explorer in SQL Server Management Studio..Right Click on the Server...Reports...Standard Reports has quite a few built in reports for you; the same occurs at the database level as well.(right clicking on the database instead of the server

there's a suite of DMV's you can use to check your server/database on your own, but you need to knwo what you are after first.

As far as third party tools, I played with Confio's http://www.ignitefree.com/, which provides some kind of neat tracking of stuff that happened on my server in the last hour...things like most costly SQL statements and stuff, and there are a number of free modules out there that do similar stuff, with the option to upgrade to more powerful suites of reporting capabilities.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply