How to manage subscription DB log growth?

• Hi experts,

I would appreciate your inputs regarding my issue below.

I use transactional replication and my subscription database log file is growing (now it is 50GB) and cannot be shrunk because replication is occuring. The recovery model is full and my preference is not to change it. I do not take transaction log backups, however.

So what is the best practice to manage the log file size in this case?

Thank you.

• The best way to control the log file growth is to have periodic transaction log backup.

• Thanks for your response.

Yeah, but wouldn't that affect replication?

• Mr. Holio (8/2/2011)

I use transactional replication and my subscription database log file is growing (now it is 50GB) and cannot be shrunk because replication is occuring.

It can't be shrunk because there are no log backups. Replication does not in any way use the subscriber's log file.

The recovery model is full and my preference is not to change it. I do not take transaction log backups, however.

If your recovery model is full, you HAVE TO take log backups or your log file will grow until it fills the drive. Bottom line, end of story.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Understood. Thank you very much!

edited:

And what about the publication dbs?? thank you.

• Mr. Holio (8/5/2011)

edited:

And what about the publication dbs?? thank you.

Same thing, if the recovery model is full, you must have log backups or the log files will grow until they fill the drive.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply