How to make sure that all the rows are inserted into datamodel and then truncate staging table

• Hi,

In my ETL job I would like to truncate stg table but before truncating stging table, I want to make sure that all the records are inserted in the data model.

The sample is as below

create table #stg (

CreateID int,

Name nvarchar(10)

)

insert into #stg

select 1, 'a' union all

select 2, 'b' union all

select 3, 'c' union all

select 4, 'd'

go

create table #Approve1 (

CreateID int,

Name nvarchar(10)

)

insert into #Approve1

select 1, 'a' union all

select 4, 'd'

create table #Approve2 (

CreateID int,

Name nvarchar(10)

)

insert into #Approve2

select 3, 'c'

create table #Reject (

CreateID int,

Name nvarchar(10)

)

insert into #Reject

select 2, 'b'

select * from #stg

select * from #Approve1

select * from #Approve2

select * from #Reject

How can I check among these tables and make sure that all values are loaded into the data model and the staging table can be truncated.

Thanks

• The most easy way is to compare the number of records of your staging table with the total number of records of the ETL tables.

IF (select COUNT(*) from #stg)

=

(select COUNT(*) from (select * from #Approve1

union all

select * from #Approve2

union all

select * from #Reject

) sub

)

BEGIN

truncate table #stg

select 'All records from #stg processed; table truncated.'

END

ELSE

BEGIN

select 'Not all records from #stg are processed.'

END

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • What are you using to perform this ETL job? Is it just TSQL or are you using SSIS or some other tool?

"In my ETL job I would like to truncate stg table but before truncating stging table, I want to make sure that all the records are inserted in the data model."

Think of this another way: if the step which inserts rows into the data model succeeds, then truncate the staging table and continue. If it fails, then do something different.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply