How to install service pack on sql server with multi-instances

• I have a sql server running 2 instances. Now, I am going to install latest service pack. I am not sure whether two instances are updated if I simply execute the service pack. Any special methods to install the service pack?! Please help.

• No, both are not completed updated. When you run the service pack executable, you'll get the option to select the instance to update. Shared components, like client tools will be updated. However, because a service pack also updates server binaries and runs T-SQL scripts, those will only be updated on the instance you select. Therefore, you'll need to do the upgrade on each instance present on a system.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Brian,

I am helping someone with cluster where one Enterprise edition installed as Default instance and MSDE installed on one node. The service pack 3A was installed on both but something is wrong. Microsoft support told us to re-install SP3A. But when I start the installation after I select the Default instance the setup dissapears. Without any error messages. stpsp log just says Installation Fails as 14:45:27 Process Exit Code: (-100)

Do you know by chance what Exit Code (-100) means during SP install? I did search the web.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• No idea and I just spent time looking in their KB. Probably need to call back MS support and tell them you have the sqlstp.log file and the info on the last line.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• There are different service packs for SQL (Standard and EE editions)  than MSDE - you may need to download the MSDE SP3a and apply that.

• Just an extra word of caution.

I had a lot of trouble with SP3a on active/active clusters.  Found that it updates files used by all instances - EVERY time you upgrade any instance on any server in  the cluster (since it must update code on all servers in the cluster for an instance).  I had trouble unless every instance EXCEPT the one that I was upgrading was stopped during the upgrade (including any instance running on any server in the cluster).  Otherwise it would complain about about locked files (that actually had already been upgraded) and quit.  Multiple instances on one server were the same except it is easier to understand what is going on.

• Jane,

Thanks. We will try stopping the MSDE instance when applying SP3A to the clusterd Enterprise instance today and I will post the results.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Quoted "No, both are not completed updated. When you run the service pack executable, you'll get the option to select the instance to update. Shared components, like client tools will be updated. However, because a service pack also updates server binaries and runs T-SQL scripts, those will only be updated on the instance you select. Therefore, you'll need to do the upgrade on each instance present on a system."

I want to ask, if we have 2 instances running on a SQL Server, we should apply service pack on each isntance present on a system. Can we apply the service pack on only one instance? I mean suppose the application using the other instance does not certify the latest service pack, etc. If we only apply Service pack on one instance, can the other instance remain unaffected? Can the other instance be accessed normally during the patch application process of the first instance?

Thanks

• From my experience, it made me nervous to update only one instance after knowing that there were certain things the instance will share and at least some of this is being updated with SP3.  The theory is you can run each instance with different service packs or versions.  You must update every instance on a server(or cluster) when applying a service pack to effectively upgrade the 'server'.  Service packs can update server applications like MDAC that all instances are using.  Updating only one instance CAN affect all instances on a server even if it doesn't update the actual SQL binaries.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply