How to give access to SQL 2005 client tools, for power user

• I have a couple of users who had Enterprise Manager on their desktop. I have now upgraded their network database and server from 2000 to 2005.

What should I install on their desktop, so they can manage their new 2005 database ?

I know I can only install Management Studio from our full version of SQL Server 2005, but do they then take up a license ?

or is a better route to install free SQL Express on their desktop, so they can manage their database that way.

Thank you very much for your input.

• You can install the client tools without having to license SQL.

• Thank you...we have the SQL 2005 DVD contents on the network, and I hate to copy the whole thing to a users desktop, only to install Management studio...is there some sort of .msi file I can create, or use ?

• Try SqlRun_Tools.msi in Tools\Setup folder.

• tried that, but the install did not like just having the .msi file...error msgs that I received were somewhat cryptic, but I believe it was looking for other files as well.

Any other suggestions out there ?...otherwise, it looks like I have to copy the whole DVD over to a users desktop

• You can run the install from the network location where you copied the DVD contents. If that is not an option (bandwidth issues?), then I would recommend copying the install media to a portable USB drive and install from there.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• or is a better route to install free SQL Express on their desktop, so they can manage their database that way.

Carefully check SQL Express SSMS it is lacking a great deal of capability, for example can not invoke Import or Export Wizard, be sure the limited capability you are giving them with Express is what they really need.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Cryptic message could be caused by two separate issues:

1. When DVD contents was copied, the folder attributes are still set to "Read only" rights.

2. Network rights of an end user.

It is always recommended to copy msi package locally; check that it is not set to Read only and then run it on the client machine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply