How to get the table name from a objectID?

• Try this on for size. It will give you the table name base on the object id in the where clause.

SELECT *

FROM sys.objects

WHERE object_id = 632864

GO

--Here's the reverse - to get the Object Id of a known table name. "Department" is the name of the table

SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].department')

GO

You can also use the following code to see if a table exist.

-- this is also good if you need to check is a table exist in SQL

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].department') AND type in (N'U'))

print 'expression is False'

ELSE

PRINT 'expression is TRUE.' ;

• It sounds like you have data corruption, but you can also try the following to quickly search for an object_id across a multiple databases.

exec sp_MsForEachDB

'

USE ?;

print ''Searching ... ?''

print ''Found: ''+object_name( 632864 );

';

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Not sure if you need the structure or the data; ideally you want both of course. I haven't lost data since a sql server 6.5 bad service pack but here is what I did then:

I've had some success rescuing data by using the non-clustered indexes to retrieve it when the clustered index tree is toast. You just need to be smart enough to write the correct WHERE clause and maybe jump over data pages that are bad. Works in a pinch.

• I really hope the OP didn't depend on the last replies. Not because they're bad, but because it's been over 3 years now.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (10/12/2016)

I really hope the OP didn't depend on the last replies. Not because they're bad, but because it's been over 3 years now.

I also hope the OP migrated away from SQL Server 2000 and discovered what lead to the massive corruption in the years since.

Though I am curious about one thing, would having log shipping make the data somehow accessible still if one finds themselves in this situation?

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply