How to get rowid in sql server 2005

• use CTE's Below is the syntax

With CTE As

(

Select *,Row_Number() Over(Partition By Col1,Col2 Order by Col1) From TableName

)

Select * From CTE

• If you want to get the rowid for the use in a paging query then use row_count()

declare @FromRow int

declare @ToRow int

set @FromRow = (@PageNo-1) * @pageSize

set @ToRow = @FromRow + @pageSize;

set @Fromrow = @FromRow + 1

with <name> as

(

select <field1>, <fieldn>, row_number() Over (order by <field> desc) as 'RowNumber'

from table with (nolock)

where <expression>

)

select * from <name> where RowNumber between @FromRow and @ToRow

• tom.newman 88696 (3/31/2010)

from table with (nolock)

Why?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • with (nolock) just stocks the query locking the table. this is essential if you are querying a live database!! 🙂

• So locks are bad, but potentially inconsistent data and incorrect results are OK?

Nolock is not a free lunch, it is not a 'required' hint when querying a production database. It's a hint that can be useful in some circumstances when you know that the side effects of it won't be a problem.

See - http://sqlblog.com/blogs/andrew_kelly/archive/2009/04/10/how-dirty-are-your-reads.aspx

It is not 'required when querying a live database'. Well written queries and effective indexing are. If you have queries causing severe locking, one of those is probably missing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for that; as you can tell Im a developer not a DBA! trying to get more familiar with the aspects of querying SQL databases. at the moment reading T-SQL Querying!! back to basics which should give me a good foundation.

Are there any advantages of using pivot or apply compared to a join? joins create virtual tables which is a combination of both tables, then filtered down. As far as I can tell you are applying tables values to the left or right table.

Are there any performance advantages to using the new SQL features?

...joins create virtual tables which is a combination of both tables, then filtered down.

Only logically. Can you imagine how slow queries against large tables would be if execution always started with a full cartesian join before being filtered? The query optimization process selects a close-to-optimal strategy to return results logically described by the query. The availability of appropriate indexes and up to date statistics is important here. All should become clearer as you progress through your reading material 🙂

Are there any performance advantages to using the new SQL features? Are there any advantages of using pivot or apply compared to a join?

It all depends.

• I see what your saying and it makes sense.... I will proceed with the reading!! thanks

I see what your saying and it makes sense.... I will proceed with the reading!! thanks

No worries. If you come across anything that puzzles you, post something in a new thread - we are all very keen to share our opinions on things 😉

• thanks very much; Im sure there will be something 🙂

• I was searching for this, Once you saw the value of RID it clears you lof of things regarding RID

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply