How to get Point in time recovery if database carshed

• Hi,

I have a full backup and transaction backup till 12.00pm

and if my database has been crashed at 12.30 pm .Then how i will recover the data of 30 minutes transaction ?

Pls help me to find out the above problem.

Thanks,

Sunil Kumar

• su_kumar11 (10/22/2009)

Hi,

and if my database has been crashed at 12.30 pm .Then how i will recover the data of 30 minutes transaction ?

Pls help me to find out the above problem.

Thanks,

Sunil Kumar

Not sure if i am reading that right, if your last log backup was at 12pm, that is the earliest that you can restore to. there might be other options you can explore but you wouldnt be able to a point in time recovery as you havent got a backup to cover 12:30pm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Will taking a tail-log backup if possible help?

"Keep Trying"

• su_kumar11 (10/22/2009)

Depends what you mean by crashed. If the SQL Service is still running (or can be started) and the transaction log file (ldf) is still available then, regardless of the state of the data files themselves, you should be able to take a tail-log backup.

If SQL won't start, the ldf file is lost or if it's a complete failure of all drives in the server, then there's no way those 30 min of transactions will be recovered. That's why it's important to set the interval between log backups to the max data that you're willing to lose in a disaster.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It will depend on situation.

If you will be able to perform the tail log backup successfully than yes you will be able to recover data till 12:30 but keep in mind that it may or may not be a 100% recovery.

This again depends on the what kind of transactions going on at that time. e.g. if a transaction was running since last 15 minites and didn't comminted you will loose that data. In nut shell you will be able to recover commited data only. It will rollforward the commited data and rollback the uncommited data.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply