how to get my DTS package to return an error message?

• i have a ColdFusion page which runs a stored procedure which runs a dts package to import an uploaded text file to a table.  it works well but on occasion there is some minor problem with the formatting of the text file or something and the dts package does not run successfully. 

the problem is that the ColdFusion page does not knwo that the DTS package ran into an error so the user thinks it ran and is unaware that their data was not imported.  the CF template i assume just runs the stored procedure and continues on.

is there any way to get the DTS package to send the error message (when one exists) back to the CF template?  or at least just send a status message of success or failed?

• I'm not familiar with ColdFusion so I can't help you with the code needed to process the failure but, to make a package fail on error you need to modify your DTS Package as follows from DTS Package Designer:

Right click the task object that needs to report a failure, select workflow/workflow properties.  On the options tab check the box for Fail Package on step failure

(I can't seem to a screen shot uploaded so hopefully this makes sense...)

Hope this helps

-

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply