How to get feedback from a running DTS Package

• How can I get feedback from a running DTS package? I want the user to be able to see how many rows are being imported or if an error has occured. Enterprise manager provides a tool that provides feedback, but my users are using MS Access to run the DTS package (via DTSRun command)

• You could add the /L<filename> switch to output a log file.

Steven

• The /L switch is good, but this only shows the results after the package is run. I am looking to get a real time feed back whilst the package is running - as Enterprise Manager can

• If you're using SQL 2000 and have package logging enabled, you can query the sysdtspackagelog/sysdtssteplog/sysdtstasklog tables in the msdb database.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• You can create an ActiveX script that runs after the pump complete phase which shows a msgbox with the number of rows imported.

To do this , go to the properties of the transform data task. Go to the transformations tab and then click on new and create a new ActiveX script. On the phases tab of the transformation options, uncheck 'Row Transform Function' box and check 'Pump Complete' box. On the source columsn tab, make sure that at least one column is selected. Then on the general tab click on the properties button and use this code in the Function PumpCompleteMain()

Dim msg

msg = "Number of rows succusfully imported " & CLng(DTSTransformPhaseInfo.DestinationRowsComplete)

msgbox msg

msg = "Number of rows failing import " & CLng(DTSTransformPhaseInfo.ErrorRows)

msgbox msg

PumpCompleteMain = DTSTransformStat_OK

• Use DTS COM model to execute package and handle relevant events triggered within execution.

1: The question is ... "what is a MahnaMahna"?

2: The question is ... "Who cares?"

1: The question is ... "What is a MahnaMahna"?
    2: The question is ... "Who cares?"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply