How To Generate Index Creation Scripts (many indexes)

• Hello!

I would just like to if anyone can share a script they use to generate indexes in SQL 2005.

I have 2 databases on a separate instance. I want to script out all indexes from database1 then execute it on database2.

Please advise on how to accomplish this task efficiently.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

• Here's an example[/url] of a PowerShell script that will script out the indexes. It's written to only pull the indexes from a single table. You can pretty easily modify it to get the indexes for all tables. That's how I'd do it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• there are dozens of scripts in the scripts section here on SSC that do what you are asking;

take a look and see if one will do the job for you:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/search/?q=script+indexes&t=s&sort=relevance

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Mr. Grant,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I've read both your books SQL Server Execution Plans and SQL Server Performance Tuning and I've learned so much from it. I keep going back to your books constantly. Thank you for sharing your knowledge to the world Sir.

Have a Great Day!

Best Regards,

Ricky

• Hi Lowell,

Thank you for your reply.

The link that you sent is very helpful. Thank you for sharing it.

Have a Great Day!

Best Regards

Ricky

• Thank you very much for the kind words. Good luck with your indexes.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply