How to embed "if" logic into a SQL query

• I need to exclude records from a query result set if the creator of the record has included marked a record as private (via a field called USAGE_CODE) when other users_ids do not match the creator_ids where user_id are used to populate the creator_id field.

If the query is done by the user_id that is the same as the creator_id, the "private" images get included in the query result set, otherwise they do not get included in the query result set.

Visual FoxPro SQL code premits an "immediate if" to be included; does SQL Server also permit immediate ifs ? Or, how otherwise is the kind of conditional query handled?

Thanks for any advice...

Arden

• I would think you use a WHERE clause...

SELECT <required fields>
    FROM MyTable
    WHERE (creator_id=@user_id
    OR USAGE_CODE = 0)
    <Any additional selections>

Replace @user_id with a variable representing the user executing the query.

In this code, a record is marked private if USAGE_CODE differs from 0.

• I understand the where clause usage (I think). See pseudo code to hopefully clarify the intent of the condition query.

IF mUSER_ID = IMS.CREATE_BY THEN

SELECT * FROM IMS

ELSE

SELECT * FROM IMS WHERE IMS.USAGE_CODE

<> "PRIVATE"

ENDIF

The fly in the oinment is that the CREATE_BY field is part of the table being queried not and external variable.

I know I can get all the pictures back and then exclude those marked as private and where USER_ID <> CREATE_BY -- but wanted the database to do the heavy lifting. In VFP it is as simple a using and immediate IF statement in the where clause, but I don't seem to be able to find that feature supported by SQL Server or ODBC against ACCESS.

Arden

• Just use

SELECT *
    FROM IMS
    WHERE IMS.USAGE_CODE <> "PRIVATE"
    OR IMS.CREATE_BY = m_UserId

If you pass the query as a string into a 'command' or 'recordset' object, you can replace the 'm_UserId' by the value you want it to match.

If you use a stored procedure to return the recordset, you should use an input parameter.

• Thanks for your help -- I should have been able to figure that out all by my lonesome -- too late at night I guess (lame excuse).

Arden

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply