How to delete SQL00001.dmp in SQL Server 7

• I have found under mssql7/log folder that there is a huge SQL00001.dmp created more than 6 months ago.

I would like to ask what is the best way to remove it without causing any issues. (1) Simply delete it right there (2) Shut down SQL Server, remove it, start up SQL Server (3) or else ?

Thanks,

Bill

• Disclaimer: I have never used SQL Server 7. I use SQL Server 2000.

I believe that in version 7 backup files are stored as filename.dmp. So what you are looking at is a backup file. It might be a very old one, but only you can figure that out.

If it is a backup file, AND it is not needed, just delete it like you would any other file.

One thing to check first. Are you doing backups? Where are you backing up to? Is it to that file?

-SQLBill

• it is not a backup file. In fact, it seems like the SQL Server generated this log when it encounters some exceptions. The sheer size is around 2 GB. Also, it is under the log folder suggesting that it is not a file created by user. On the web, I noticed that if someone issued DBCC STACKDUMP, it will generate this file. So, it is likely a stack dump of a process. I do not recall doing something like that myself back then. So, it seems some application or SQL Server itself did it.

Bill

• Yes, but I put it in the wrong catalogue and therefore there was no response.

Even if it is a backup file, I do not need it for whatever reason. It is simpy too old. My backups go to a different place.

So, the consensus is that I can simply delete it ???????

• If you aren't sure about deleting it, move it to another location and delete it from the original location. If something stops working, move it back. If everything keeps working correctly - delete the moved copy.

-SQLBill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply