How to create global temp table in the remote server and we can query it via linked server?

• Hi,

Do you know how to create a global temp table on a remote server? I tried to use EXEC (

'Select * into ##tbl') at linkedserver to create a global temp table on the remote server, but I found I can't query anything is we select it via linked server, do you know why? really appriciated if you can share anything with me? Thanks a lot 🙂

Thanks

Lindsay

• A global temp table will only exist as long as there is a process accessing it. My bet is that once your process completes, there is no active connection accessing the temp table and it is removed.

Why do you need a global temp table?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks a lot Jeffrey.

I only want to use that temp table to compare the data with another table on that remote server. But like you explained, the process has finished once I create the temp table via linked server, and it should't be queried I want to get the data via linked server, right?

Thanks

Lindsay

• Just test as follows:

--========================Linked Server creating

EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @srvproduct=N'SQL Server'

EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname=N'LENOVO\SQL2005',@useself=N'False',@locallogin=NULL,@rmtuser=N'USDBA',@rmtpassword='USDBA'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'collation compatible', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'data access', @optvalue=N'true'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'dist', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'pub', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'rpc', @optvalue=N'true'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'rpc out', @optvalue=N'true'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'sub', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'connect timeout', @optvalue=N'0'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'collation name', @optvalue=null

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'lazy schema validation', @optvalue=N'false'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'query timeout', @optvalue=N'0'

GO

EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'LENOVO\SQL2005', @optname=N'use remote collation', @optvalue=N'true'

GO

--========================Linked Server creating

GO

EXECUTE ('

--create temp table

IF OBJECT_ID(''tempdb.dbo.##SalesTbl'',''U'') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE ##SalesTbl

CREATE TABLE ##SalesTbl (SalesID int, SalesName varchar(10));

--data insert

INSERT INTO ##SalesTbl

SELECT 1,''AA''

UNION ALL

SELECT 2,''BBB''

--show data

SELECT *

FROM ##SALESTBL'

,'SalesData')

AT [LENOVO\SQL2005];--Linked Server

GO

• Thanks a lot cherish:)

The query you offered should worked for us, but it won't work if I moved the select query out of the EXECUTE string. seems that they are in different scop, right? but I have to run separately, becasue I will use it to compare the data on my local machine.... is there any way fingure out it?

Thanks

Lindsay

EXECUTE ('

--create temp table

IF OBJECT_ID(''tempdb.dbo.##SalesTbl'',''U'') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE ##SalesTbl

CREATE TABLE ##SalesTbl (SalesID int, SalesName varchar(10));

--data insert

INSERT INTO ##SalesTbl

SELECT 1,''AA''

UNION ALL

SELECT 2,''BBB''

--show data

SELECT *

FROM ##SALESTBL'

,'SalesData')

AT [LENOVO\SQL2005];--Linked Server

GO

SELECT *

FROM [LENOVO\SQL2005].tempDB.dob.##SALESTBL

GO

• seems to me this would be a good application for a CTE

• Uripedes,

what do you mean of CTE? this is new for me.

Thanks

Lindsay

• it's Common Table Expression. you can set up a statement that will pull a result set that you can treat as a table. see this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190766.aspx

• Lindsay, do you really need a temp table on the linked server? Or, do you need a temp table locally so you can compare to your local table?

Instead of trying to create a global temp table on the remote server, try creating a local temp table on your instance instead. For example:

SELECT ...

INTO #myLocalTempTable

FROM linkedserver.database.schema.object

WHERE ...

Once that is complete, you have a local temp table available to perform your comparisons.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks a lot Uripedes and Jeffrey.

Basically, I need to compare the data from the remote server, and all the data should located on that server, but I have to save the compare result to one local DB... and the result only has little data. in order to have a high perf, i hope I can do some operation on the remote server, (save the temp data on the remote server...), and then the remote server only return the finally result to the local DB.. That is why I want to search a way to save the temp table on that remote server, and read that temp table via linked server. Anyway.. we can save all the data into our local server, and do the compare if I can't find a better way. Thanks for your help^_^

Thanks

Lindsay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply